Blueprint Problems

Blueprint Problems

In order to view the object I’m trying to create in front of the Left Side Blueprint Image I have to:

1. Place Left Image View in the Left loading box of the Blueprint Menu
2. Check Flip in the Blueprint Properties
3. Set the Editing Window’s Camera View to Right

I don’t understand the fact that I have to set the Camera View to Right when I’m desiring to view the Left side of the image.
If I set the Camera View to Left the Image appears reversed & in front of the object I’m trying to create.

I also don’t understand why I must check Flip in the Blueprint Properties Menu.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just the correct procedure that my non-mathematical mind just needs to learn
and be thankful that the genius’ are sharing this marvelous feat?

I've included a .jas file and a screenshot.

Always Thankful
Jeanny

BTW I am trying to follow the Blender Tut for Character Modeling.
Other than my not understanding the Blueprint part it seems to be working out just fine in Cheetah3D V7.17 Beta.

Attachments

• Aviator Head Basics 2c.png
    Aviator Head Basics 2c.png
    145.6 KB · Views: 369
  • Aviator Head Basics 2c.jas.zip
    11.1 KB · Views: 196
In order to view the object I’m trying to create in front of the Left Side Blueprint Image I have to:

1. Place Left Image View in the Left loading box of the Blueprint Menu
2. Check Flip in the Blueprint Properties
3. Set the Editing Window’s Camera View to Right

I don’t understand the fact that I have to set the Camera View to Right when I’m desiring to view the Left side of the image.
If I set the Camera View to Left the Image appears reversed & in front of the object I’m trying to create.

I also don’t understand why I must check Flip in the Blueprint Properties Menu.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just the correct procedure that my non-mathematical mind just needs to learn
and be thankful that the genius’ are sharing this marvelous feat?

It can be confusing. Remember if the face you're working
on is facing toward you/front, your right is the faces left.

As for the Flip setting, another technique is to lower the opacity of the Blueprint and
look through the blueprint image. So then you would want everything flipped around.

You should also try using four or even six images at once and set Culling to front,
then the images in front will automatically disappear as you rotate around.

:smile: Thanks Zoo!

I never was quite sure how I was viewing the image in the Editing Window.
Now I know it’s just like real life.

Setting the Culling to front works pretty slick. :cool:

As far as lowering the opacity of the blueprint image and looking through it:
I can’t get that to work.

With Much Appreciation
Jeanny

Last edited:
As far as lowering the opacity of the blueprint image and looking through it: I can’t get that to work.

Jeanny

I agree, not the way I do it either. I prefer toggling
in and out of wireframe view, looking through the object.
And now we have the ghosted view option as well.

Regarding Blueprints and the like, I'm sure you'll figure out your favorite workflow. I just wanted to say it looks like the face you're modeling has a good flow of edges and loops, going around the mouth and eyes. When it comes time to animate the expressions should look great.

Good job.

:smile: Thanks for the encouragement KurtF!
I’m just following the Blender tutorial step by step.
C3D adapts well to the tutorial.
I’m now trying to modify the head and my poor little guy has bumps in it.

My Best Regards
Jeanny

:smile: Thanks Uncle808us
I’m so glad you recommended the particular tutorials I have been using to make the character.
The Blueprints are from the tutorial.

I was doing alright until I reached the Top of the Head and
started trying to rotate the covered group of edges to follow the curve of the Head.
Also I decided I wanted the head without the helmut on so I tried shaping the head as I went along.
After i finished adding all the polygons and connecting them; the back of the head was still too large.
Thus I started moving vertices of the Head's back area forward.

What a mess!:shock:

The center loop of vertices either had tears or overlapped.
Thankfully for novolume’s tip on using the Quantize tool in his Tut on Character Modeling I was able to straighten that out.
I find Novolume's Tut is a great tut for box modeling without blueprints.

You were kidding when you said you enjoy moving vertices weren’t you????
I find it tedious and non rewarding.
I always end up with some dents or misshaped areas in the character’s heads.:roll:

I am now beginning to try hiro-ichi’s Laplacian Smooth Script.
That is really a great script for smoothing things out.:icon_thumbup:
I agree with Frank Beckmann when he said: “This is absolutely amazing - what a great addition.”

Never-the-less old granny here is still struggling to get the shape as I want it.
As you can see I still have to work out a few areas: I had it badly distorted.:tongue:
I am trying to create a head that isn’t exactly oval. I would like it appealingly different.
What ever that is.

I attached a jas file in case anyone may have some useful pointers.

My Best Regards
Jeanny

Attachments

• Aviator Head Basics 2r.png
    Aviator Head Basics 2r.png
    160 KB · Views: 262
  • Aviator Head Basics 2r.jas.zip
    13.5 KB · Views: 186
That is looking nice.
You were kidding when you said you enjoy moving vertices weren’t you????
I find it tedious and non rewarding.
Actually I find it relaxing. Not kidding. It seems easier using different layouts 3 windows
Front,Right,top. etc.

:( I usually end up working on models for several hours for several days and not come up with satisfactory results.

:confused: Are there some tricks of the trade that may be of help in addition to using at least 3 views?

:icon_thumbup: It did help to watch how Darrin Lile worked when moving vertices.
I’ve played his tut over and over: when I watch one view to see what he is doing I miss what is going on in the other view.

:) I'm so thankful to have the support of you & this forum.

Good Blessings to All
Jeanny

Once you get a good flow of polygons, you can use the Magnet tool to shape your object to match your blueprints. Where you think you need more deformation, add more points/polygons.

I don't think there are any tricks. I use top, side, and front views, too.

Bob

Back