Make one object the same scale as another?

Make one object the same scale as another?

Hi,

I'd like the top model to be the same scale as the bottom model (wall) as I'd like the top model to fit in my level in-between the wall pieces ..

Whats the best way to match the bottom model size?

It only need to be width and high not depth, thanks.

Kevin.

Attachments

• Screen Shot_00.png
    Screen Shot_00.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 260
Hi,

I'd like the top model to be the same scale as the bottom model (wall) as I'd like the top model to fit in my level in-between the wall pieces ..

Whats the best way to match the bottom model size?

It only need to be width and high not depth, thanks.

Kevin.

Hi kevin, as you may know, objects should be 1/1/1 in
"scale", what you want is the same dimension/size.

Select all polygons, then with the Transform Tool and the shift key down,
Click and drag on the scale box of the dimension you don't want to change.
In this case it's the blue or Z axis.

Attachments

• Scale.gif
    Scale.gif
    114.1 KB · Views: 269
Ok, now I figured it out. All objects need to be deselected in the browser, then the shift key needs to be fully depressed then the object in the browser is selected and made a child of the parent object. Never knew you could do this. I usually just look at the parameters, but I guess if the coordinates have been burned, that method won't be useful.

Going back a couple of steps — rather than eyeball you can:
  1. first make sure they have the same transform scale using Tools > Coord System,
  2. measure one dimension on the thing you want to match (suppose it's 1.73) and then the current corresponding dimension on the thing you're rescaling (suppose it's 0.77).
  3. Now go to object mode and look at the object's scale settings (if you've just normalized everything it will be 1.0, 1.0, 1.0,
  4. but let's suppose they were already the same scale and it's 2.25,2.25,2.25
  5. go into spotlight (command-space) and type 1.73/0.77*2.25, and get the answer 5.05519….
  6. Type that scale into the three scale values for the thing you're scaling and you're good to go.

You can do the same thing if they're different scales but it's a bit more involved and, really, you want everything to be in the same coordinate scale system 99% of the time.

Back