Welding spline vertices?

Hi Bob,
I'm assuming they're one spline object. Basically C3D joins start to end so you need to select one of the points you'd like to join and 'reverse the sequence'. Now you have a start and end point, select the two points and 'join segments'.

Hi Bob,
I'm assuming they're one spline object. Basically C3D joins start to end so you need to select one of the points you'd like to join and 'reverse the sequence'. Now you have a start and end point, select the two points and 'join segments'.

Got it thanks.

Basically C3D joins start to end so you need to select one of the points you'd like to join and 'reverse the sequence'.

That has stumped me on several occasions, too. Thank you.

Great question, Bob.

Steve

Connect two Spline curves (same spline object)

I've got similar question.

I need to join / connect two spline curves that are part of the same spline object.
- the end of one to the beginning of the other.
please see the attached image.

Any help is appreciated.

--Shift Studio.

Attachments

• close-spline-question2.jpg
    close-spline-question2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
okay, some combination of 'reverse sequence' and 'join segment' worked.

it needs to be white to green, and not green to white.

too bad there weren't some more photoshop or illustrator-like path tools.

Thanks to 'fused' for the help. btw the video links are gone.

--Shift Studio.

I need to join / connect two spline curves that are part of the same spline object.
- the end of one to the beginning of the other.
please see the attached image.

Any help is appreciated.

--Shift Studio.
Have you tried to reverse one spline - import children and drag one end point with snapping to component to the other end-point already?

Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank,

Thats a pretty old thread ;)

I'm not sure how I solved it, but I did I guess.
Would what you are describing actually weld the two splines?
Or would it just be two sub-splines with a common vertex?

Since this thread is brought to the surface again, it still would be nice to be able to 'weld' spline points in a more intuitive way.

thanks,
-- shift studio.

Last edited:
Dragging one point onto one other (snapping enabled) is pretty easy - no?

Cheers
Frank

Well, that doesn't weld the two points - right, you must choose 'join segments' - thats an extra step, plus then you sometimes need to reverse the segment - thats an extra step.

Also, the 'weld' tool has an option to weld to the middle of the two points.
That might be useful in splines too.

In my opinion, working with spines is cumbersome and not intuitive - but, I only do so rarely so I forget and have to re-learn - thats a contributing factor too.

Thanks,
--Shift Studio.

If it´s just this kind of shape call spline tool and say "Close spline" which will generate a new segment.
But as shown in the image snapping one end point to the other will instantly close&fill the shape - it won´t when it´s not closed.

Cheers
Frank

If it´s just this kind of shape call spline tool and say "Close spline" which will generate a new segment.

Are you referring to the 'Close spline' option in the 'Create Spline' tool?

I agree if you are making shapes with an extrude creator, having endpoints snapped together is sufficient, but the spline itself is not 'closed'

I was more interested in combining some splines together when building a complex sweep (with the sweep creator). I was just experimenting again, and I stand by my statement "working with spines is cumbersome and not intuitive" - I admit, maybe I'm just too influenced by my many years' experience in other graphics apps...

--Shift Studio.

I agree if you are making shapes with an extrude creator, having endpoints snapped together is sufficient, but the spline itself is not 'closed'
Define "not closed". You can join the endpoints if necessary.
(A circle in a vector drawing.app isn´t closed as well - it has a 5th point - except in Illustrator which still can´t do partial circles.)

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• VectorCircle.png
    VectorCircle.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Define "not closed". You can join the endpoints if necessary.
(A circle in a vector drawing.app isn´t closed as well - it has a 5th point - except in Illustrator which still can´t do partial circles.)

Cheers
Frank

When you draw a vector path in (most??) apps, and you place your last point in the same place as the first point, the two points become one, its a closed path and essentially there is no beginning or end.

I see if you make a circle spline editable in Cheetah, there is a beginning and an end, and those two points share the same vertex. If you move them apart, then you can call Create spline/Close spline to close it but there is still a beginning and end and they still are not attached. I guess thats by design?

Anyways, I think you are perfectly happy with the way splines work in Cheetah, I don't fully grasp the logic, I may be able to if I try, and I probably will need to sometime again.

I would like to see the weld tool available for splines :)
--shift studio.

When you draw a vector path in (most??) apps, and you place your last point in the same place as the first point, the two points become one, its a closed path and essentially there is no beginning or end.

Sorry - but this is not true. Every path has an order/direction - otherwise you can´t fill compound paths with the even&odd rule and that´s why every vector app has a "Revers Path Direction" function. ;)

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Path direction.png
    Path direction.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 227
Okay, did some quick research and it appears Illustrator has this too - and I suppose it makes sense for a few reasons.

So then, still in a 'closed path' the end point and beginning point are one, and not two separate points - wouldn't you agree with that?

Is there no way to have a closed path by that definition in cheetah?
I can't seem to do it.

thanks, Shift Studio.

Okay, did some quick research and it appears Illustrator has this too - and I suppose it makes sense for a few reasons.

So then, still in a 'closed path' the end point and beginning point are one, and not two separate points - wouldn't you agree with that?

Is there no way to have a closed path by that definition in cheetah?
I can't seem to do it.

thanks, Shift Studio.
Draw an open path add it to an extrude-creator - drag with snapping enabled one end-point onto one other end-point. When it snaps the surface will get filled with an nGon. Try to drag the points one from another. I can´t. You?

Cheers
Frank-sorry-to-be-the-pest :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Draw an open path add it to an extrude-creator - drag with snapping enabled one end-point onto one other end-point. When it snaps the surface will get filled with an nGon. Try to drag the points one from another. I can´t. You?

Cheers
Frank-sorry-to-be-the-pest :mrgreen:

Works like a charm. Thanks guys good conversation.

Back