More questions - precision.

More questions - precision.

I have been collating the scripts, tutorials, paying for videos, tuition etc and something that still gets me confused is precisely placing points or ring cuts on things...

So for example, I have a plane (flat surface not an aeroplane) and i want to put edgeloops/points/ring cuts at each end. I want them to be precisely the same. I have no indicator I am putting the loops/points etc at a set place to be able to copy the same factor the other side.

Or If i want to cut something in half, I have no idea if i have managed to get the alignment right.

Can someone help here?

You can't go to Top View and cut along the grid? Is that too hit or miss? Although I do think there is a better way.

Cheers
Terry

Thanks..

Thanks that did help somewhat.

I just find it a little awkward when i am adjusting a polygon not seeing some form of feedback. I look to the right constantly (where I expect feedback from the panel).

I can use the ruler and get feedback that way it just seems counter intuative to use the ruler before and after edits constantly.

Frank you mention something about the title bar?

Attachments

• StaturBar.png
    StaturBar.png
    133.8 KB · Views: 438
You can quantize the extrusion at the extrude tool or check out the ruler tool:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• RulerTool.png
    RulerTool.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 413
I can't find it but I'm pretty sure there's a wish list item for numerical inputs (essentially have the numerical values in the status bar also be edit fields allowing precise input of angles, coordinates, etc.)

I can't find it but I'm pretty sure there's a wish list item for numerical inputs (essentially have the numerical values in the status bar also be edit fields allowing precise input of angles, coordinates, etc.)

I believe there is a wish list item for basic arithmetic in those fields as well. That would be nice!

I think I am making some progress...

I think I am making some progress, thanks for your help to date - appreciated. I have been able to measure and place points/extrude/cut precisely now - good news!

However I am suffering from "making circles" using the js script. If the hole is on the top facing surface and precisely the same width and height = OK. If my hole is on the side (example photo provided), filled, covered, catmull x2 and make circle = undesirable results.

Any ideas?

http://gyazo.com/b536606293dc5d32c49f8f4a4d857809

Attachments

• odd chair- problem.jas.zip
    14.4 KB · Views: 202
a German plan.

You have already introduced some serious issues: scaling for example just to name one.
Here´s a strategic workflow on precise modeling a corner dice part from where you can extrude, copy&paste building bridges to what ever you like:
ScalingIssues.png

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Yes..

Yes your approach works when planning ahead.

-Something I didnt do.

I suppose I had better make more mistakes to know where and when to make provisions.

I just assumed the same results on a surface as i would on a poly cube.

Mid-way through my (very basic) frame I decided to change to circular extrusions.

If I were to build my item of furniture like i would for real, would that be a better approach? Do you think building and making everything in folders - so things can be mirrored/symmetry and making things like you showed is a better method.

I went from a cube and extruded everything from that piece of geometry. Mainly because I thought I could keep an eye better on the poly-count. If I make from lots of individual parts will geometry (where two seperate items are parented into one) be merged and some dropped (where points touch), is their a way to keep an eye on this?

Mmmh - I think precision and improvisation are not going nicely together except in musical concerns. :p
Sure you can build this from a stack of tiles - but I´d go for a more realistic approach and make the things one mesh like in reality - it´s easier for texturing in the end you know?
Folders can´t wear modifiers BTW.

Cheers
Frank

I am glad I am not the only one to encounter...

I am glad I am not the only one to encounter the confusion of precision. I wondered how I could "dial in values" and it seems I simpy cannot :( I will definitely add my vote to those areas that confunded me when trying and purchasing cheetah.

Anyway I will make do with what is available as I noticed I can use the snap to raster and calculating my additional value to move a point/edge/face, so this helps for now.

Going back to something you showed me Frank, the particle array, I have had a go at making one for my circular extrusions in my next attempt at a model. However when I add my box I notice my particles have not snapped to the face of the box. Is their something i need do?

http://gyazo.com/92d9864a411a2d702534d52911d3a56f

I changed your guide to suit the dimensions of my new area in a new model, thus making the plane 2x2 with 6 sections per side. Box the same value 2x2x2 units. Result being the particle system having an offset?

My ultimate aim is to replace the section here in my text model:

http://gyazo.com/d6603009262afd40f92e5ba55b0bc4e5

so I would be OK with the particle mesh not snapping to the box faces as I would be using part of it to snap to a hole i punch out of this second screenshot - in order to extrude a sign.

Would you consider this the right method?

Is their something i need do?
Your plane needs to be at X,Y,Z=0,0 and Y-oriented.

I changed your guide to suit the dimensions of my new area in a new model, thus making the plane 2x2 with 6 sections per side. Box the same value 2x2x2 units. Result being the particle system having an offset?

My ultimate aim is to replace the section here in my text model:

http://gyazo.com/d6603009262afd40f92e5ba55b0bc4e5

so I would be OK with the particle mesh not snapping to the box faces as I would be using part of it to snap to a hole i punch out of this second screenshot - in order to extrude a sign.

Would you consider this the right method?
I´d use gadget-mode plus component snapping to align the prebuilt parts to the other object: Second image.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• ParticleMesh.png
    ParticleMesh.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 253
  • SnapinGadget.jpeg
    SnapinGadget.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Back