Particle Emitter Random Problem

I mainly use Safari (Version 9.1 (10601.5.17.4) - strange that it´s blocking you from viewing a AnimGIF directly. :redface:

Cheers
Frank

Combined Advise

I have been diligently working on a lot of suggestions made by Pod, Frank, and Helmut.
I'm trying to achieve a close up view: not messy with too many particles and a somewhat artsy rather than realistic look.
I hate to give up perspective but I want a more close head on look in this case.

I've incorporated a bit of advise from all three of them into my project.

Because I don't know how to make gif files I have posted 3 screen shots of various poses at various frames to try to show what I have accomplished thus far.

In my next post I've described what I did so far.

My Best Wishes 2U

Attachments

• Snow Pose 1.png
    Snow Pose 1.png
    269.8 KB · Views: 210
  • Snow Pose 2.png
    Snow Pose 2.png
    256.5 KB · Views: 216
  • Snow Pose 3.png
    Snow Pose 3.png
    286.5 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Explanation of what I did so far

The following is my attempt to employ various suggestions into my project from Frank, Helmut and Pod.
Any further advise is always welcome.

1. The first screen shot I posted is what I created thinking this is what Frank was indicating when he posted:
I use a polygon grid as an emitter mesh
2 I made the birth rate 1 as per Frank
No trickery - just a birthrate of "1".
3 I added Dummy Particles and set them invisible as per Helmut. I would call it clever not clumsy.
* The only improvement I could achieve was by implementing a clumsy trick:
* Increase the birth rate.
* Add dummy particles and set them invisible.
4 The second screen shot I posted is my attempt too employ Pod's suggestion to use multiple emitters.
5 I used Random seeds with lower numerical values as I noticed Pod used in some of his emitters.
6 I experimented with the particle emitter's parameters: Speed and Size Growth in combination with experimenting with the emitter's particle scale to achieve a fairly decent balance.

My Best Wishes 2U
Jeanny

Attachments

• Polygon grid emitter mesh.png
    Polygon grid emitter mesh.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 210
  • Multiple Emitters.png
    Multiple Emitters.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 203
Particle mesh, gravity and Turbulence

Pod's suggestion to use a particle mesh with gravity and the Effector Turbulence might make a nice effect. I still need to experiment with it.
If you want to control the position of the particles use a particle mesh and then use the particle tag to precisely control position randomness.
I'm thinking of Polygon Selection sections rather than the particle tag.
My original jellybean bowl example used particle meshes + gravity to fill a bowl with jellybeans.
I'm also thinking of stacking a bunch of polygon grids and allow them to fall one at a time in staggered intervals - and - using a light turbulence to send the flakes lightly swirling or drifting in different directions as if the wind was tossing them.

My Best Wishes 2U
Jeanny

Custom (Scripted) particle emitter

One of Pod's suggestions was to use a custom (scripted) particle emitter.
Given your very particular requirements it might be easiest to use a custom (scripted) particle emitter.
I like that idea.

In my attempt to get more information about scripting
I came across an old post of a Particle Size Distribution (PSD) script posted by alcarazr.
http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=79910&postcount=1
No one has posted any further comments on his thread.
I was wondering if this script might help me?

Best 2U
Jeanny

Hi Jeanny
I have never used the script (and I don´t see how it can be executed) but, as per the comments at the top of the script, it only works with balls.
You may post a private message to the user (emails are disabled) but Rodrigo Alcaraz de la Osa has not posted any stuff since the end of 2014, so I have no idea if he is active :confused:

Helmut's Good natured correctional Humor

@ Helmut
You may have a good reason to show them as octagonal crystalline polys, but some pedantic nitwit (see representative portrait attached) will come along and complain
Nitpick away. I learn a lot from it and get a good chuckle from your friendly chiding.

In my present project I have good reason for making the snowflake more than 6 sided:
I like the looks of it. :tongue:

Don't worry though if you look at my examples in this post:
Although the snowflakes in my examples are teal, blue, yellow & lavender
I am using those colors temporarily to help me differentiate the effects of each different emitter.

Pedantic: It is the more thoroughly explained facts with specific step by step instructions and pictures that are great aids in learning.
I find your's very instructional and helpful.
To me Pedantic is when one asks how to paint a house and the instructor explains how to make paint.
Like you, I get a bunch right (or left) but no even distribution without clusters and holes.
I'm glad you understood my dilemma.
A few small clusters & holes here & there are natural and ok as long as the overall composition looks ok.
A steady stream of holes and clumping like what was happening when I first posted doesn't look right.

Is there such a thing as imperfect perfection? :-?

As much as I hated mediocracy I've come to actually like some of it. Maybe that is because it's all I can produce.

Hah! We both must have been posting at the same time.

Best 2U
Jeanny

Last edited:
@ Podperson
Also, I'm puzzled as to why you post your requirement text as images, it makes it very hard to review them while writing a reply
Sorry about that. I was trying to take the easy way out for me. :mrgreen:
I usually type out what I want to post in pages and use that to follow to type my comments in the forum.
When I take a long time typing out an explanation or making a comment in the forum it usually times-out
and I have to re-enter my user ID and password before the forum will submit my entry.
I'm afraid I'm going to loose everything I typed out.

However I can understand your point. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

In future posts I will stick to typing them out in the forum rather than attaching screen shots.

Best 2U
Jeanny

Thanks for the suggestion Pod.
I Have some questions but decided to start a new thread on text editors for the questions.

My Best 2U
Jeanny

Back