Retain imported normals

Retain imported normals

I have an FBX file originally created in Maya. It has some smooth sections and some areas with normal breaks.
When I import the file and immediately write it out as FBX again, this normal information is lost. I am assuming that Cheetah applies the settings in Polygonobject/Smooth to calculate new normals. Is there any way to prevent this? I would like to keep the normals just the way they were imported.

Not sure because while Cheetah3d supports normal breaks I´m not sure wether the FBX file format does. There´s nothing about it in the file preferences tab. Can you please check the mesh for some creased edges indicating normal breaks and if so does that particular Smooth setting will change anything of its appearance?

Cheers
Frank

PS: Cheetah3d´s export to FBX will maintain normal breaks!

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm sorry but Cheetah3D doesn't import normals. It always computes the normals on the fly. I think that's quite common in polygon modelers since static normals would break quite fast once you start editing the mesh.

Bye
Martin

Thanks Martin.

I wish I had tested this earlier, since the primary reason for purchasing Cheetah3D was to do minor modifications to existing meshes. :(

Back