Changing frames per second shifted keys

Changing frames per second shifted keys

Hi All,

I originally started animating at 24 FPS but decided to change it up to 30 FPS. I didn't expect this to alter scale of my key frame positions at all, essentially just change the duration of the animation due to the additional 6 frames per second. I think I ran into this in Maya once and there was a feature to "snap" all your key frames back to the whole frame unit.

Does this feature exist in Cheetah?

What I noticed is that my keys are all shifted off the frame markers and it seems like a lot of work manually moving things around now. (I will avoid changing this in the future mid-animation unless someone knows a clever way to avoid this.)

Am I doing something wrong or is this expected behavior in the timeline / animation editor?

Cheers.

(moved here from Scripting -> General... oops)

Attachments

• adjusting_fps_key_shift.png
    adjusting_fps_key_shift.png
    95.9 KB · Views: 300
You can use Hiroto´s f-curve editor script to remap the keyframes when you get the math right: http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8339
But I think that´s not really necessary and you can leave it untouched - it´s like changing the dpi-value of an raster image. You will probably change the timing/synchronization. Otherwise it´s super easy to select all keyframes at once an let it automatically snap by dragging left or right - no?

Cheers
Frank

Key frames are associated with TIME not frames so the behavior is both expected and desireable. If you want to make an animation twice as long, double its frame rate and then adjust the timing in an editor (motion, after effects, whatever). As Frank says, a frame is a frame and frame rate is simply the temporal equivalent of dpi.

Thanks Frank. Thanks Pod.

Doh. Not sure why I didn't try dragging to select all frames on the timeline. Thanks for that. I get the analogy of scaling DPI on a raster image. Snapping to whole frames makes it easier to plan out the timing/spacing of poses. Changing frame rates would require some manual adjustments regardless due to the change in scale.

I think it would probably also help if the frame markers on the time slider lined up with those on the key frame / f-curve editor pane but that's a different request. :)

I think it would probably also help if the frame markers on the time slider lined up with those on the key frame / f-curve editor pane but that's a different request. :)

This can be done by creating a custom layout.
Here's one of mine:

Attachments

• Line Up02.jpg
    Line Up02.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Back