Merry Christmas and a happy new year

Go to GO in your Mac toolbar while holding the OPTION key.

Then scroll down to LIBRARY then you'll see APPLICATION SUPPORT. Loof for the Cheetah3D folder in there, then the Scripts folder.

Bob
For some reason I had no Cheetah3D folder under Applications Support. It showed up now. (Maybe there are two library folders?)

On with the rigging! Thanks!

Yeah, Macs have more than one Library folder. The "hidden" one is the one you need.

As far as I know, that's the only way to get to it.

I'm looking into doing some rigging, too. I found the Controlled Spline script (adds controllers to IK Spline) and the F-Curve Linker script (I have no idea why it's called that, but it makes the ability to have one object drive another) interesting and have been experimenting.

They are at the same place as the Mirror Joint script.

Bob

it's Christmas...here is a screenshot of V7...
cool.
love to see more...
and...
any thought on when V7 may be available?

Personally, I really dislike the new icons. For example, the T icon looks too big beside the cube. While the flat look is a big hype right now, most adoptions of it look really bad. The idea behind it is to make it look like a magazine, suitable for a flat screen. Some apps do use it successfully, but to use it you need to know the design rules for typography. Also, the printing press was invented around year 1440, which is not a very long time in the evolution of humans, that spans millions of years. Our brains have not adapted to a typography based layout, and the use of shading to add depth makes information processing much faster, in addition to just looking much better. No disrespect, but the new UI may be a reason for me to not upgrade to version 7.

Your critique of the interface is a first for me. Never have I read of someone not wanting to upgrade for this reason. To each is own but I for one find it contemporary and clean. I do hope we see release in the near future!

I did put the existing UI side by side with the new one, and compared, and the new one just looks unbalanced. For example, why is the T icon green? There is no reason for it, and it does not follow any design convention for typography. I also did some Google searches like "Blender UI", "Maya UI", "Modo UI", and they all look better. While there are aspects of Cheetah3D that are great, the new UI is not one of them.

Change the TextIcon.Tiff to whatever you fancy.
Servus from Vienna

PS: It is used twice, once in the Toolbar header and once as a proper text icon, so you need some icon which suits both purposes.

Last edited:
Well, my post was intended as *constructive* critique, to make a better UI experience for everyone. Manually replacing icons hardly seem like a good user experience.

In version 6, I could tell from the icon that it was a spline. In version 7, it looks like a "T" for text, which is misleading.

Last edited:
You know I appreciate your attention to detail. Being that I have used Cheetah for many versions the change doesn't bother me. The green color has been there for a while now. Is this your first time looking at Cheetah as a 3D app option? If so, comparing it to other applications for a sort of universal UI approach could be a fair debate.

I am mainly using Cheetah3D (version 6) for quickly opening and modifying FBX files, as it is superior to other apps when it comes to reading and writing the FBX format. Though, for other tasks I user other apps, like Blender or Modo, or even Carrara. The most important things for me is thus the FBX support, and ease of use. Some things in Cheetah is a bit unintuitive if you are used to other apps, e.g. how the transforms combine in a hierarchy, so that is one point where I hope for improvement in version 7.

I use it with Unity, where FBX is the default format for 3D models. It is really great to be able to modify the FBX assets bought from the Unity Asset Store directly using Cheetah. Though for modelling from scratch, each app has its own strength, e.g. Carrara is good for things like terrain. So it would be good if Cheetah was intuitive for users who don't use it as their only modelling app. Especially since there is also a lack of tutorial materials.

I am curious about an issue I have with Modo. It has to do with scaling of object meshes one brings in from other 3D applications. Since Cheetah3D's FBX exporter works well I want to start in Cheetah and have my objet be the same size in Modo. Looks like Cheetah works completely independent from real world unit's i.e. Meters, Inches etc. So a rectangle made in Cheetah is 2along the x, 2 along the z and 1 along the z. I export FBX open in Modo and the rectangle comes in oriented correctly measures 6'6.7402" x 6'6.7402" x 3'3.701".

Do you know how to work the scaling issues from Cheetah3D or any other application with respect to Modo?

Do you know how to work the scaling issues from Cheetah3D or any other application with respect to Modo?
I´m pretty sure Modo just uses labels - nothing more.

Maybe take a standard 1:1:1 Modo-cube - export to FBX and load into Cheetah3d - take the ruler-tool and measure - next steps may require a calculator and a new scale factor at your FBX file setting at Cheetah3d´s preferences.

Cheers
Frank

3´3.7" = (not precisely, but approx) 1 metre / 1 meter.

3'3.37"

I always remember it as 39.37 inches (and I double checked with Google).

I grew up during Australia's transition from imperial to metric, so like most of my peers I have committed the conversion factors to memory. Gallons to liters and tons to tonnes are terrible though because the imperial measures vary.

Last edited:
Back