Quick render question

Quick render question

Hey guys,

Quick Q to save some time (I have searched the forum but didn´t find an answer as of yet):

I cannot seem to get my "ball" rendering "smoothly". I know that I knew how to but seem to have forgotten. What might I do wrong here? See the edge that is not completely "round".

Thanks for any quick help!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-04-08 08.55.30.png
    Screenshot 2016-04-08 08.55.30.png
    220.6 KB · Views: 202
You are such a powerful help here Frank and I do apologise for such an obvious question. However I have been away from C3D for a period of time so when I got back on track it seems some basics are lost..

My understanding is that it won´t help to apply subdivision to a ball whereas it works on a box ( ? ). So either I have to use boxes with subdivision applied replacing the balls or set as you also state higher sections value on longitudinal / parallel. The value I set for perfect roundness now are 250 on the balls (image) but probably way too much for what is needed for the effect.

Am I right in my subdivision understanding? What do you feel is a professional amount in regards of my set of 250? "Thumb rule" so to speak.

Big thanks Frank. You rock!

Maybe this visual will help you out:
Check for the terminator edge - the transition from light to shadowed areas.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• SmoothSphere.jpeg
    SmoothSphere.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 197
The value I set for perfect roundness now are 250 on the balls (image) but probably way too much for what is needed for the effect.

You must be talking about the Smooth Angle setting, which is a
property all objects have, but it won't smooth the edge in profile.

Keep it at the default of 45 degrees. And you can
certainly use a Subdivision Modifier on a sphere.

You must be talking about the Smooth Angle setting, which is a
property all objects have, but it won't smooth the edge in profile.

Keep it at the default of 45 degrees. And you can
certainly use a Subdivision Modifier on a sphere.

This won´t help with rendering regarding the terminator problem - unfortunately.

Cheers
Frank

This won´t help with rendering regarding the terminator problem - unfortunately.

Cheers
Frank

That was my experience too. So I just made more "polygon faces" as you suggested Frank. I ask to learn "the mindset" of C3D so I don´t end up just "doing" from task to task.. So for me this is very important even if the Qs seems "totally newbie".

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion. I thought you´re saying adjusting the smooth angle will prevent from the terminator rendering issue - which is not the case - just more geometry will help. Either higher value of sections or added subdiv-modifier.
More clearly now?

Cheers
Frank

Sorry for the confusion. I thought you´re saying adjusting the smooth angle will prevent from the terminator rendering issue - which is not the case - just more geometry will help. Either higher value of sections or added subdiv-modifier.
More clearly now?

Cheers
Frank

Much better. I was confused by the number 250 moooztar mentioned,
I thought it may have been the smooth angle he was adjusting.

Back