Sweep Problem (Noobie)

Sweep Problem (Noobie)

Hello, I have run into a problem with the Sweep creator. (First time I'm using it.)

I pretty much explained it this screenshot:
helpwithsweepplswt0.png

What am I doing wrong? Can I get the sweep to be where the path spline is and without the cracks where the inside of the sweep is visible? The sweep in the screenshot also seems to be differently oriented than the path spline. :frown:

Please show me the light! :mad:

I don't really know, but there is probably an offset problem with your two curves, that's why -at least i think- the sweep is way bigger than the curve. :confused:
Did you try starting the curve to be swept near the sweeping curve ?

As for the break in the sweep i think it could be due to a reverse in the curve ?

Hope it helps, while waiting for someone who knows to find better explanation ! :)

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

When I bring the profile spline closer to the path spline the sweep's size decreases. So I guess I can do that; but it would make more sense if the sweep creator object were right where the path spline is, so that the profile spline doesn't influence the sweep size.

I can't get rid of the rips along the sweep's surface. There are no reverses or hard turns in the sweeping curve; it bends relatively smoothly. :confused:

Hi temhawk.
I think there´s too much offset as Laurent already mentioned in addition to some rotation confusion.
Edit: I made a simple sweep file - maybe it´s telling you something.

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• SimpleSweep.jas.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 219
  • SimpleSweep.jpg
    SimpleSweep.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Sorry, I'm still waiting to get my License to Model :tongue:
(This Christmas I hope :mrgreen: )

But I tried putting the profile spine right next to either end of the path spline. Both didn't get rid of the rips and the sweep was still not on the path's splines path (still distorted at some points). :-?

Thank you for the example. I noticed that the distance between the profile spline and the coordinate system's center affects the profile's offset from the rail spline. But the other thing is that in your example the rail is "2-dimensional". There are no Z-axis changes. I think having a spline path that bends into all three dimensions makes this more complicated; the profile doesn't seem to adapt to the rail's curves. :(

Hi.
Have a look in this file.
Let me know if I miss something.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• SimpleSweep2.jas.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 213
  • SimpleSweep2.png
    SimpleSweep2.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 263
Okay.. we're getting there :)

screeny1rf5.png

What you didn't tell me was that the profile needs to be vertically oriented (created from front view). ;)

But as you can see in the screenshot above, there is still a slight problem. You see that line going all the way around in high orbit over my splines? :???:

What you didn't tell me was that the profile needs to be vertically oriented (created from front view). ;)

I think there´s too much offset as Laurent already mentioned in addition to some rotation confusion.

But as you can see in the screenshot above, there is still a slight problem. You see that line going all the way around in high orbit over my splines?

I don´t get this. Why do you move the rail away from x/y/z=0? Why don´t just "scale-the-rail"?

With kindest regards
Frank

Update: Problem resolved, thanks all! :redface:

I don't get this! I'm sorry, please be patient with me. Sometimes people think I try to piss them off but it's just that I use a different logic or something; and I'm not stupid :roll:

When I move the rail away from the coordinate system's center (0|0|0) it doesn't change anything except the location of the sweep... and scaling doesn't change anything either except enlarge/shrink the size of the sweep. And aside form that, those two things (obviously) have totally different effects. I mean, I should be able to scale and move the rail wherever I want and it shouldn't change the "quality" or "structure" of the rail. And with your last example it worked just as I'd expect. I tried to do the same in a new window and what came out is in the previous screenshot I showed. :confused:

Look. I scaled and moved your example a bit, and it didn't cause any other changes than just that; no weird stuff suddenly orbiting around the scene.

screeny1nj5.png

frank beckmann said:
Sorry for missin that!

Last edited:
Back