V5 OBJ MTL import question

Oh yeah, that would be great ! :icon_thumbup:
Even if, selfishly, i'd really like to see a LWO2 support in Cheetah, as i'm also a LightWave user. :redface:

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

Oh yeah, that would be great ! :icon_thumbup:
Even if, selfishly, i'd really like to see a LWO2 support in Cheetah, as i'm also a LightWave user. :redface:

Cheers,

Laurent,

I have seen the the "glass with tablets" and the "whisky glass" renders on the Lightwave 9.5 gallery.

I'm just curious to know how you would compare the Cheetah and Lightwave renders, in terms of quality, speed, ease of setup etc.

I have a copy of Lightwave 9, and I'm learning how to use it.

Thanks for your time, thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

Hi Paul. :)

As for your question, it's quite difficult to answer, first because i'm a newbie Cheetah user and a 15 years old LightWave user, so my experience with both soft isn't the same ! ;)

But i can try. :)

I'd say that "head to head", LightWave is a far more advanced soft, both in possibilities and quality, but you also have to remember that it's a professionnal tool, sold 795$, when Cheetah is (still...) a young app, sold more than 5 times less.

And i'd say that the more i learn Cheetah, the more i like its rendering possibilities, and its ease of use.
From what i have tested, it's also quite fast, even if there are still areas where it has some problems (e.g. big renders...), but Martin is aware of that.

The biggest downside right now for me in Cheetah is its material editor, but as you know it's going to be the big feature of v5, and i can't wait to test nodes in Cheetah, as i know from LightWave that they are a very powerful way of building complex textures ! :D

Anyway, even if i know really well how to use LightWave, i like using Cheetah, as it is really fun to use and also very straightforward.
It's that simplicity combined to powerful functions and a great render engine that makes Cheetah so unique. :cool:

I use both and find a use in both. :)
Hope you'll find some time to mearn LightWave too, as it's a really powerful application.

Cheers,

Hi Paul. :)

As for your question, it's quite difficult to answer, first because i'm a newbie Cheetah user and a 15 years old LightWave user, so my experience with both soft isn't the same ! ;)

But i can try. :)

I'd say that "head to head", LightWave is a far more advanced soft, both in possibilities and quality, but you also have to remember that it's a professionnal tool, sold 795$, when Cheetah is (still...) a young app, sold more than 5 times less.

And i'd say that the more i learn Cheetah, the more i like its rendering possibilities, and its ease of use.
From what i have tested, it's also quite fast, even if there are still areas where it has some problems (e.g. big renders...), but Martin is aware of that.

The biggest downside right now for me in Cheetah is its material editor, but as you know it's going to be the big feature of v5, and i can't wait to test nodes in Cheetah, as i know from LightWave that they are a very powerful way of building complex textures ! :D

Anyway, even if i know really well how to use LightWave, i like using Cheetah, as it is really fun to use and also very straightforward.
It's that simplicity combined to powerful functions and a great render engine that makes Cheetah so unique. :cool:

I use both and find a use in both. :)
Hope you'll find some time to mearn LightWave too, as it's a really powerful application.

Cheers,

Laurent,

many thanks for your considered and helpful response.

As you have now completed the two renders I mention above in both Lightwave and Cheetah, I'm sure you'll agree that under the right circumstances, Cheetah compares very favorably with other "big" apps such as Lightwave. People such as Luke have shown that you can make a living out of using Cheetah for rendering and even modeling for arch viz, which is my area of interest. And it is much easier to use and learn than Lightwave !!:D

I have the Lightwave 9 book by Dan Ablan, and I have also downloaded many of the training videos from the newtek website. And after all that, Lightwave still scares me !

Many thanks again. :icon_thumbup:

Last edited:
...As you have now completed the two renders I mention above in both Lightwave and Cheetah, I'm sure you'll agree that under the right circumstances, Cheetah compares very favorably with other "big" apps such as Lightwave. People such as Luke have shown that you can make a living out of using Cheetah for rendering and even modeling for arch viz, which is my area of interest. And it is much easier to use and learn than Lightwave !!:D
Yes, i'd say that -actually- ArchViz renders are the most accessible target for professionnal use of Cheetah, because of its ease os use and its excellent render engine ! :icon_thumbup:

Not to say that you can't do anything else with Cheetah, as i think for example that with some minor enhancements it could become a great MoGraph tool, and also a good all-purpose 3D app. :cool:

Let's see what the next version will bring, but i'm sure it will bring a lot more power to Cheetah, while keeping it simple and fun to use ! :D

And i do agree with you, Luke has perfectly understood the way Cheetah's render engine is working when you see what he's able to produce in term of render quality ! :icon_thumbup:

Cheers,

Back