More Glass Troubles

More Glass Troubles

This program is driving me crazy. If it wasn't for the great way it renders, I'd probably not use it at all. Anyway, I'm using version 2.6, and I'm trying to get a gas pump fixture to render. Of course, it's got a glass front and a little brown glass bubble inside, BUT I can't get the glass to render correctly. And when I change the radiosity tag to radiosity instead of AO, like you're supposed to when rendering glass, all my other textures come out with all these huge black splotches on them.

I threw away the color texture on the glass, set it to zero, set ambient/diffuse part to zero, transparency to 1, index of refraction to 1.5 and used fresnel. I've also got the shadows off the area light set to raytrace + transparency. My other textures worked fine until I set the radiosity to radiosity instead of AO. What would make them do that?

Hi,
if you render glass you don't need radioaisty or AO at all since glass has no diffuse component. So just attach a render tag to the glass object and disable receive radiosity.

Bye,
Martin

Glass Still Not Doing Right

Well, putting the radiosity tag on the material helped, but now when the glass is in front of the pump face, it's so dark you can't even see through it, but yet, it's nice and clear on the parts that aren't covering the pump face. You can see through them to the background. What am I doing wrong? I had to turn the reflection down to zero. I was getting nothing but a mirror effect.

That is, when the glass is in front of the object I want to render, the glass is so dark I can't see through it. But the parts of the glass that aren't in front of anything are clear and you can see right through to the HDRI in the background. Why is this?

Last edited:
Lets try and help

Tony, would it be possible to post a screen grab of the glass materials settings and a render of the scene?

Andrew

Screen Grabs

Here are the screen grabs. I've offset the glass off the pump head so I could see what it's doing.

This is with the radiosity setting at Radiosity and specular scatterings at 1.0 (like it's supposed to be with glass in the picture?). With ambient occlusion my textures don't do this but the glass goes dark.

Attachments

• render.jpg
    render.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 415
  • clear.jpg
    clear.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 414
Here are the screen grabs. I've offset the glass off the pump head so I could see what it's doing.

This is very strange, I tried to emulate your problem and the only thing I could think of is that the glass is touching the mesh behind which can cause this sort of thing to happen.

replicating your image (v rough ) the only parameter I changed was the index of refraction to 1.5 (glass) and increasing the reflection value to .1
see jas file herewith.

I might be a 2.6 issue as we are on version 4.x

Martin would be the best person to advise here

Regards

Luke

Attachments

• g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 395
  • test.zip
    91.5 KB · Views: 261
Hi Tony,
I can remember this type of artifact. But that is a bug I fixed a long time ago. Please consider that v2.6 is almost 3 years old and that Cheetah3D did quite some improvements in that time. These type of artifact shouldn't happen in 4.x anymore.

Bye,
Martin

Back