Glowing sphere

Glowing sphere

Hi guys
I've been trying to emulate the glowing objects in Modo. I know you can use the solid colour texture and radiosity to do this sort of thing but I want to get it looking like the modo render below. In Modo you can add a gradient to objects to get this look. I've tried adding a second sphere around the glowing one in C3D and using a membrane shader to simulate the gradient but I'm wondering if there is a better way to do this that I haven't thought of. The other nice thing about these sorts of 'lights' in Modo is that they give very soft lights without strong highlights. I'm also finding this a bit tricky to emulate using the radiosity solution - it tends to give very bright areas just under the sphere. Answers on a postcard please - any ideas appreciated.

Cheers

MM

Attachments

• light_sphere_render1.jpg
    light_sphere_render1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 4,631
Hi.
Can´t get any closer in a reasonable time.
One point light geometry is involved inside a glas bulb of the same size with a gradient texture in the transparency channel in frontal projection. Another light resides underneath the sphere. Radiosity is turned on.

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• GlowingSphereThingy.jpeg
    GlowingSphereThingy.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,354
Last edited:
Hi.
Can´t get any closer in a reasonable time.
One point light geometry is involved inside a glas bulb of the same size with a gradient texture in the transparency channel in frontal projection. Another light is resides underneath the sphere. Radiosity is turned on.

With kindest regards
Frank

I knew I could rely on you to come up with the goods Frank! Any chance you could post the file? Thx. MM

Ok MM.
Here´s a fresh one built up from scratch - damn - didn´t keep the last one.:redface:

I wanna make sure that this is a completely fake of your rendering not a simulation of a Modo light source!

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• GradientSphereFaked.zip
    155.4 KB · Views: 382
Ok MM.
Here´s a fresh one built up from scratch - damn - didn´t keep the last one.:redface:

I wanna make sure that this is a completely fake of your rendering not a simulation of a Modo light source!

With kindest regards
Frank

Thanks Frank, you're a star!

Back