SVG Extrusion

SVG Extrusion

Hi all,

I have just purchased Cheetah 3D today after trying several 3D apps for the mac. I am trying to create a 3D model of one of my products and this is the first time I have ever done this.

I am trying to deboss a logo into a retangular shape, I have exported a logo file from Illustrator CS3 in SVG format and its imported it into Cheetah 3D sucessfully. From what I can understand in order to do this I need to extrude the SVG logo, position it onto the shape and in effect punch the logo into the shape to create the effect. So here are my questions:

1. Are there any tutorials that explain how to do this?

2. The imported SVG is made up of 32 paths is there any way to merge this into one object then it can be extruded in one go?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

thanks

Jim
(new to 3D)

Last edited:
Hi.
In the help file that comes with Cheetah3d is a chapter called "Adobe Illustrator to Cheetah3d" that covers a few things you´re asking.
A quick guide to "Chrome Logos" can be found here: https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/index.php?threads/1935/
If you have a bunch of splines you want grouped for one extrusion object you can select the second path, hold shift and select the last path til every path appears "blue" highlighted. Then drag the selected bunch onto the first path and go main menu->tools->Merge. The bunch will be now part of path N°1 so you can again select the bunch and hit backspace for deleting them. Now go ahead extruding the paths all at once.

With kindest regards
Frank
PS: Update in red

Last edited:
You should clean up the svg so that it contains one single bezier curve before you import it into Cheetah3d. Because cheetah3d doesn`t have any tools to clean it up it self. Then you can add svg into the extrude creator object. and then it is extruded!

Back