Ambience light

Yes it's looking sweet and a little more post work you can get those whites even more white.

Also I did a little looking around on the modo site and to get a result like that takes a lot "bounce light" tweaking.

Re Podperson's blurred transparency you can do that with a micro bump map on the glass and vary the trans setting to taste. As blurred reflections take forever to render on most 3D apps ( like when you do an angle reflection blur)

Regards

Luke

Attachments

• blur.jpg
    blur.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 361
One more, and thanks everyone. This is 2.4 hours with radiosity bumped to 1.250 and the samples @ 32 on the area lights. Iphoto post...
Re the white walls a render tag to omit radiosity on the wood floor would probably help, that is where the color bleed looks to be coming from.

Attachments

• test3.jpg
    test3.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 358
Re the white walls a render tag to omit radiosity on the wood floor would probably help, that is where the color bleed looks to be coming from.

I've noticed this quite a bit as well. The colour bleed from objects in radiosity renders seems to be a bit overdone or at least it looks that way in a lot of lighting situations.

I've noticed this quite a bit as well. The colour bleed from objects in radiosity renders seems to be a bit overdone or at least it looks that way in a lot of lighting situations.

Here is a render tag without the floor in the radiosity. Quick test but you can see what the color bleed is.

Attachments

• test4.jpg
    test4.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 356
Last one. Radiosity tag on the floor and I cranked the main area light way up - radiosity @ 1.200 with post in iPhoto. I had to use the sharpen feature to get the focus crisp.

Attachments

• test4.jpg
    test4.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 337
Modo Render

Here is a modo render of the shared scene. Same light setup. No post work...

Attachments

• Modo_Render.jpg
    Modo_Render.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 306
Podperson's blurred transparency you can do that with a micro bump map on the glass and vary the trans setting to taste. As blurred reflections take forever to render on most 3D apps
Blurred reflections aren't too slow for me -- it's really just a question of tweaking settings before you go for a high resolution render.

Here are two test shots of the same scene. In one render blurred reflection and refraction on the glass panes is switched on, in the other it's off. The rendering time for the first was 30 seconds. For the second it was 3 seconds.

In case your curious, just reflections took 6 seconds. Just refraction took 12 seconds. So I guess that gives you some kind of idea of the overhead.

3s -- no reflections or refractions
6s -- reflections
12s -- refractions
30s -- reflections and refractions

Incidentally, reducing the size of the glass panes substantially reduced rendering times, so used sparingly (e.g. in the background as per the original render) the impact isn't so bad.

Also incidentally, SSS -- which produces gorgeous effects -- seems to be very cheap.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 298
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 298
Hi podperson,

very interesting these two renders - especially the time consumption.
But it looks also in the 30 seconds renderer not so realistic - just in my opinion. Because the shadows are too dark. But you are right - it is the best way to play with the settings before you will do you final (big) render! :wink:

best regards
wal

Podperson, could you please share your settings regarding the "blurred" glass?
Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Peter

Dear nmpg

Thanks for the comparison, The render time and settings produce quick result ( although it is machine dependant ) and the output looks like AO tp me as its cold with no colour bleed (maybe a hybrid AO ? radiosity setting ?

Anyway the results I did which the AO was about 20 secs at a similar spec produced a similar result ( we can get picky about the light) but in general the same cold tones and sharpness.

The radiosity on the other had gave a warmer more natural output which tends to soften the image a bit ( could be an illusion) although a bit too much colour bleed with can be compensated for in the render, or simply adjusted quickly in Photoshop or similar.

So overall I think Cheetah holds it's own and is just as competent a rendering program.

Regards

Luke

PS I agree with Peter, Podperson that blur glass is brilliant, I love to know what those settings are as well, please

Regards

Luke

Attachments

• ao.jpg
    ao.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 274
  • radiosity.jpg
    radiosity.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 276
  • radiosity_retouch.jpg
    radiosity_retouch.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 283
The blurred glass is from another 3d program which shall remain nameless, I can PM you my settings if you still want them. The point is it uses multiple samples and ray tracing to achieve its effects, so the impact on rendering time is indicative. The shadows are a bug in the rendering engine which I agree make the rendering unrealistic. (The problem appears to be caused by overlapping shadows from two transparent objects...)

The blurred glass is from another 3d program which shall remain nameless, I can PM you my settings if you still want them. The point is it uses multiple samples and ray tracing to achieve its effects, so the impact on rendering time is indicative. The shadows are a bug in the rendering engine which I agree make the rendering unrealistic. (The problem appears to be caused by overlapping shadows from two transparent objects...)

Yes please

Regards

Luke

Luke,

The Modo render was done in a Macbook 2.0 2 gb ram, not a very fast machine.

Anyway it was done with radiosity, not with AO. In Modo it is called Global Ilumination (312 rays and 3 bounces - in cheetah terms 312 samples and 3 scatering).

See attached files comparing a render with Cheetah (500 samples and 4 scatering) and with Modo. Modo was 1 minute and chetah was 5 minutes.

I guess modo render is cleaner....and cheetah has a warmer light.

Attachments

• Cheetah_Render.jpg
    Cheetah_Render.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 293
  • Modo_Render1.jpg
    Modo_Render1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 298
Thanks for the Modo tests.

The Cheetah render(s) have/has a haze that is very annoying for interiors especially. I have to use the iphoto sharpen feature to get the clarity of some other render engines.

Luke,

The Modo render was done in a Macbook 2.0 2 gb ram, not a very fast machine.

Anyway it was done with radiosity, not with AO. In Modo it is called Global Ilumination (312 rays and 3 bounces - in cheetah terms 312 samples and 3 scatering).

See attached files comparing a render with Cheetah (500 samples and 4 scatering) and with Modo. Modo was 1 minute and chetah was 5 minutes.

I guess modo render is cleaner....and cheetah has a warmer light.

Dear nmpg

Re your machine spec and the speed of cheetah and modo I will agree that Modo is fast

re modo being cleaner...I'm not so sure. I ran a quick test with a ball light around the model ( which I guess you can call global Illumination :) )

and I think it's just as sharp as the modo render without any bleed and the walls nice and white (no retouching)

I still think it's wrong physically, but without seeing a photograph of the model or actual room (I know this sounds crazy) well never know which render engine produces the most faithful result.

And to that end I do have a model with actual settings and picture to test, if anyone is interested !?

Regards

Luke

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 286
Luke,

That would be great to test your model on both (modo and cheetah) render engines and compare with actual fotos. Can you post it in this forum ?

Thanks

Luke,

That would be great to test your model on both (modo and cheetah) render engines and compare with actual fotos. Can you post it in this forum ?

Thanks

Dear nmpg

I have found a model which I think I might have posted it here before ( I'm sure it drove IDR mad ) I sure got me going.

Still rather than give you the original .obj file I already converted it to .jas but lost the natural link to the textures ( they are all there in a folder called...textures)

and a pdf that came with the original challenge.

It's a shame that the submitted enties on the site are not there anymore, as it made a good refrence point for different render software.

Still if you want a crack in Modo or Cheetah I have zipped up the files for download at

http://www.bocchinelli.com/room.zip

NB: just under 24meg in size

Regards

Luke

Attachments

• render-engine-challenge-ro.jpg
    render-engine-challenge-ro.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 260
Back