More lights more noise?

More lights more noise?

Hmmm,

I just added one point light to my scene which was virtually noise free and now tons of noise. So, is it better to increase the samples of the lights or the samples of the radiosity? The lights have 1 sample each and I did a pass with two samples each and no change.

Hi,
for small point lights 1 sample is perfect. You only need more samples for point lights with a bigger radius.

But 1 sample point lights can't introduce more noise. At least I haven't seen it before.

Bye,
Martin

Thanks Martin.

I made a "copy" of one of the point lights and moved it to a new location in the scene and that is when the noise appeared. I was also changing hdri's a lot so it is possible that I changed an hdri too. Would that explain the sudden noise level?

Hi,
point lights normally add noise. If you add a light and some noise appears you can always check if it really comes from that light. To do that just disable that light and make a render. If the noise is still there you at least know that it wasn't caused by that light.

Bye,
Martin

Hi,
point lights normally add noise. If you add a light and some noise appears you can always check if it really comes from that light. To do that just disable that light and make a render. If the noise is still there you at least know that it wasn't caused by that light.

Bye,
Martin

So martin, what is the best way to reduce noise on an area light in your experience ?

Regards

Luke

Back