modeling help

modeling help

i've modeled some objects in vectorworks and exported them to render in cheetah-

i've run into a problem with one of them. the shape is basically of a sectioned sphere connecting down to a rectangle. this creates a warped plane.

however, when i export, what comes through (at least in cheetah) isn't correct.

i'm attaching images of the vw and cheetah files- i'd appreciate any suggestions on how to recreate this shape in cheetah.

thanks.

Attachments

• Firepit (cheetah).jpg
    Firepit (cheetah).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 384
  • Firepit.JPG
    Firepit.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Hi
This can be easely done in Cheetah3d. Place your flatened cube and a sphere at disired positions. Erase all the supernumerary polys of the sphere and the upper side of the cube. Flip normals with the rest of the sphere and throw it in the objectbrowser into the cube, import children, blot out the sphere now, ´cause it is now part of the cube. Build a bridge between rest of sphere und opened cube. That´s it. Now you can tweak it a bit or set some creases in edge mode. Hope that helps.

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• Firepity.jpg
    Firepity.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 365
frank beckmann said:
Hi
This can be easely done in Cheetah3d. Place your flatened cube and a sphere at disired positions. Erase all the supernumerary polys of the sphere and the upper side of the cube. Flip normals with the rest of the sphere and throw it in the objectbrowser into the cube, import children, blot out the sphere now, ´cause it is now part of the cube. Build a bridge between rest of sphere und opened cube. That´s it. Now you can tweak it a bit or set some creases in edge mode. Hope that helps.

With kindest regards
Frank

frank- thanks for the reply and the detailed tutorial- i think you lost me after 'flatened cube' but i will give it a try.

one thing- the ring at the top of the center circle is actually flat- it appears to be sloping or inclined in the model you show. is this correct?

Hi 3x3x3.
I meant; flat as a flatfish;-)
And yes; sloping. I wanted to be close to your vw-pic, but it stands for extra work. Importing children from a part of a sphere into a cube as as easy as shown. If you need the file, let me know.
With kindest regards
Frank

Hi 3x3x3,

Your problem might be solved if you lower the smooth angle to about 28 instead of the default 45. Hope this works.

John R

Hi 3x3x3 (where did you get that name?),

Could you tell me how you export from VectorWorks? Did you use DXF or do you have VW12 designer which comes with the .3ds exporter? We have VW 12 Fundamental version here so no .3ds support (which should be a standard).

Regards,

Peter

John R said:
Hi 3x3x3,

Your problem might be solved if you lower the smooth angle to about 28 instead of the default 45. Hope this works.

John R

john- that was brilliant- and very nearly fixed the issue.

would never have thought of that... two issues come up:

1- when i set the lower angle to get a crisp upper edge, it sort of messes up the inner lower one. is there a way to set them independently?

2- for some reason, the top flat ring is not showing up as flat still. however, i can grap all the edges and move them down so that it is, but i want to constrain the movement to a single plane. for some reason the constrain buttons don't work though. do they only work for an entire object and not edges or vertices?

thanks.

peer said:
Hi 3x3x3 (where did you get that name?),

Could you tell me how you export from VectorWorks? Did you use DXF or do you have VW12 designer which comes with the .3ds exporter? We have VW 12 Fundamental version here so no .3ds support (which should be a standard).

Regards,

Peter

hello peter- 3x3x3? simply something i made up once when i needed an online name (and my icon was a cube).

i currently use vw11 and so used the dxf export. my concern is only with the shapes and not line weights so mapping isn't critical. i export using the default settings usually, though occassionally have to tweak them.

cheetah opens the dxf files without issue- i've yet to figure out the scale though. i have a feeling that all imports should be set to a scale of 25.4 (for me, to convert from english to metric) but since all that matters is that the items are proportional to each other (that is, nothing to give away any scale) then i don't bother.

hope that helps.

regards.

coffee to go

Hi guys.
Huh - lost in translation. I don´t know what you´re talking about, but here is an 90seconds-solution with creases and catmul-modifier. Simply make an innerextrude to the surfacepolygon of the box, extrude to depth, decrease the bowlbottompolygon and set the red edges to "creases" and throw in the catmul set to 3.
But if you want the hustle with ex- and importproblems go ahead:)
The left example is with a crisp edge via imported children again- you should have mentioned that sometime somewhere;-)
With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• FirePity2.jpg
    FirePity2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 311
Back