Major bug in takes?

Major bug in takes?

Hi, I'm having a lot of problems with the Takes in Cheetah.

Several different actions including copying and pasting and opening other documents cause Cheetah to automatically switch from whatever take I'm working on to the default "Take 0" and sets the duration of "Take 0" to 10 seconds. Even if I delete Take 0, rename it, or change it's duration it either gets recreated or has its duration changed back to 10 seconds.

Recently when this bug occurs I have been losing keyframe data from whichever take I am working on (some, not all) which is frustrating as I have to keep doing the same work over and over again, which is a serious issue as I am on a pretty tight deadline.

Has anyone else experienced this bug and found a solution? Or is there any way I can save my work from getting lost? Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I'm having a lot of problems with the Takes in Cheetah.

Several different actions including copying and pasting and opening other documents cause Cheetah to automatically switch from whatever take I'm working on to the default "Take 0" and sets the duration of "Take 0" to 10 seconds. Even if I delete Take 0, rename it, or change it's duration it either gets recreated or has its duration changed back to 10 seconds.

Recently when this bug occurs I have been losing keyframe data from whichever take I am working on (some, not all) which is frustrating as I have to keep doing the same work over and over again, which is a serious issue as I am on a pretty tight deadline.

Has anyone else experienced this bug and found a solution? Or is there any way I can save my work from getting lost? Please help!

Thanks in advance!

I suggest emailing the file to Martin and see what he makes of it.

I've seen some similar weird behavior, although not the "resetting time to 10s" one. One problem with takes is that you really need to burn in the pose at time 0 for each take or you'll see very odd behavior as you move from take to take.

I'd also suggest leaving take 0 (i.e. the first take) along (use it as your "work space" or "playground" and do all your actual animation in other takes.

Caveat: by and large, I find C3D's animation UI to be barely usable* for setting up animations in the first place, and actively terrible for tweaking an animation once you've put it together. If you want to do anything beyond the simplest animation, I'd suggest using something else.

* Actually, without tg_jp's Mirror Copy it's not even barely usable.

I'm not using poses, as there's no character stuff - it's all just landscape set extensions which are to be composited into a film. It was mostly match move keyframes that I has originally imported from .fbx files that were magically disappearing, but some additional keyframes that I had added in Cheetah were disappearing too.

Anyway - I've at least temporarily fixed the issue by setting up the match move camera rigs in separate files, then including them using smart folders. That seems to be working ok.

I also don't seem to be able to copy and paste keyframes - which is really annoying. Unless I'm missing something obvious in the interface, this is a feature that I can't imagine being left out of a 3D application.

Sorry -- I shouldn't have said "pose" but "initial state". If you don't set keyframes for everything in frame 0 of a take when you switch to that take everything retains whatever position it had when you were last using it (which isn't so much a bug as ... quasi-undefined behavior).

Back