(obvious?) shadow question

(obvious?) shadow question

i've been playing around with cheetah and some lighting-

i rendered some scenes (and saved them) awhile back where my object cast shadows.

for whatever reason (and i've checked all i can think of) my object no longer casts a shadow on the plane it is sitting on.

this is a simple scene with only one object sitting on a plane and some lights.

thanks for any ideas.

Attachments

• Image 4.jpg
    Image 4.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 438
  • Image 5.jpg
    Image 5.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
Hi,
that is strange. With which version of Cheetah3D did you save the scene and with which version did you rerender it?

By,
Martin

Martin said:
Hi,
that is strange. With which version of Cheetah3D did you save the scene and with which version did you rerender it?

By,
Martin

both with v3.1 i think.. i can't recall upgrading recently-

should i try the beta?

Martin said:
Hi,
please send me the file. If you only used v3.1 that shouldn't happen.

By,
Martin

martin- thanks for the reply.

i've discovered one problem- i wanted the object to appear on a white background, but when i assign a solid white material to the ground plane, no shadows are cast.

i am not even sure now how i achieved the 2nd rendering with the white- do you still want to see the file? where should i sent it?

A solid white material doesn't receive shadows. A plain white material should do it better. Make the specular color black. Aim a spot or arealight at your object and that should do it. See attachment.
If it's still not working let me/us know.

Regards,

Peter

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 419
3x3x3 said:
i've discovered one problem- i wanted the object to appear on a white background, but when i assign a solid white material to the ground plane, no shadows are cast.

If you use the "Solid Color" Material no shadows are received. That's true. But that is intended.

If you want shadows just use the normal "Material" material and set it to white. Then you will receive shadows.

By,
Martin

thank you martin and peter- that is not something i would have ever figured out.

i'm a bit frustrated, since i've been tweaking this model for weeks and yours still looks better...

could you send me the file so i can see the distance and intensity of your lighting?

this is off topic... but since you've been so helpful... i'm having no luck with a bump map for this object. i actually purchased some commercial concrete textures and the bump maps all seem fairly smooth (i am trying to achieve a surface that has lots of holes in it)- no matter which of the maps i load, or how i play with the mix, the object always renders the same. and what's worse, the surfaces all appear smooth, but it's the edges that appear ragged.

any suggestions?

thanks.

Here's the model including a concrete jpg I used for the colortexture and the bumpmap texture. You can always change it for oone of your Arroway textures (You have the concrete edition, or not?). Load this jpg in the color and bumpmap of the grey material. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Peter

Attachments

• Table.jpg
    Table.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 362
  • table.zip
    67.3 KB · Views: 378
peer said:
Here's the model including a concrete jpg I used for the colortexture and the bumpmap texture. You can always change it for oone of your Arroway textures (You have the concrete edition, or not?). Load this jpg in the color and bumpmap of the grey material. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Peter

peter- thanks so much for the replies and the file- i did buy the concrete edition of arroway- none of them seem to come close to what you've done.

i'll let you know if i have any success-

No problem, glad I could help you!
Post some results when your model is done!

Regards,

Peter

Back