Animation Nodes

I'm attaching a file that shows one vs the other. I've set the pivot to the center back of each, which is the ideal place that placing a real sign on a wall would be. Of course this scene is extremely simple compared to ones I usually work with. Manipulating the origin is what drives me crazy.

Thanks again for the input. :D :cool:

Hey there - I looked at your file and I'm not sure I'm understand the problem - both Groups function the same to me - I always select my groups in the Object viewer and never really bother with the white dots in the 3D view - when I select either folder, the pivot shows up where I would expect and I can affect rotation and position changes accordingly.

If i use the "Non-local Default" folder - to my mind it makes more sense to animate a precise amount TO or FROM [0,0,0] - that math is easy.

The "Expected Local" Group folder is at [14.2212, 10.5855, -23.6221] - making a precise mathematical move TO or FROM this point of origin requires a calculator.

Perhaps if you explain the animation issue you are encountering trying to use the "Non-local Default" folder, I'd be happy to troubleshoot that.

Franks solution of selecting ONE object from your group to act as the "center" of your object is VERY practical - just select all the other objects and drag them as children into the Parent and you're done - no folders - and then keyframe animate the parent object and the children will follow. Tada. Cheers

Hey there - I looked at your file and I'm not sure I'm understand the problem - both Groups function the same to me - I always select my groups in the Object viewer and never really bother with the white dots in the 3D view - when I select either folder, the pivot shows up where I would expect and I can affect rotation and position changes accordingly.

If i use the "Non-local Default" folder - to my mind it makes more sense to animate a precise amount TO or FROM [0,0,0] - that math is easy.

The "Expected Local" Group folder is at [14.2212, 10.5855, -23.6221] - making a precise mathematical move TO or FROM this point of origin requires a calculator.

Perhaps if you explain the animation issue you are encountering trying to use the "Non-local Default" folder, I'd be happy to troubleshoot that.

Franks solution of selecting ONE object from your group to act as the "center" of your object is VERY practical - just select all the other objects and drag them as children into the Parent and you're done - no folders - and then keyframe animate the parent object and the children will follow. Tada. Cheers

Hi Rene66,

What you describe is actually the opposite of the issue I'm having regarding the math and using a calculator. I purposely lined up the local center grouping with the global centered folder to get it out of the way. I've made a short screen cast that can probably show it better than I can explain it. I'm putting it in my DropBox as it's too large to attach.

One reason I don't like to do parent / child hierarchy is that it's easier to organize everything in a folder. Say if I parent the left frame into the right frame, then I have open it in the object browser to see it. It's already confusing enough to dig down and find what I'm looking for when I have maybe 100+ elements in the scene.

Anyway thanks for the input everyone and I'll just have to be more mindful of how I create these to get the results I want.

DropBox Movie Link:

Back