A little bending help...

A little bending help...

I have a pdf from a client that wants me to model his unit. When I import the pdf as an svg and extrude it I then need to create sharp bends at the blue lines. Can this be done or am I better off splitting the svg into three parts.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 16.06.57.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 16.06.57.png
    451.6 KB · Views: 244
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 22.59.16.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 22.59.16.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 232
  • 6th Feb_SLH1_cutter.jas.zip
    236.1 KB · Views: 198
This won´t work as you already know and can see when you look at that topology. You need these 4 segments as 4 seperate compound paths. Then extrude each, edge rotate to its certain degree and fill the gap with something useful.

Cheers
Frank

Hey there,

I'm not the best at some of these "extruded spline" objects, but after much tinkering, this would be my solution.

The problem with trying to bend the object AFTER you extrude the spline is pretty clear - so many edges (triangulated polys) to cut through to create three straight edges is kind of a nightmare.

So I would recommend:
  • Create your Plane with the bends in it.
  • Apply a Cover Modifier to it.
  • For the holes, you'll have to edit your spline so that when you extrude it, it creates the inverse of your current extrude and makes a bunch of Cylinders and a few boxes instead of the plane with holes.
  • You'll have to play with this extrude object to rotate the various sections into place. and line them up on your Plane object where the holes should be.
  • Now use the BOOLEAN creator with your Plane object (including the Cover Modifier) first and your new Extrude second. And make sure A subtracts B.
  • Double click on the Boolean to make it an editable object and you're done.
That should hopefully get you the shape you need. Cheers.

I´m surprised how well the Boolean-creator works on your file.
In essence you put your already extruded/thickened mesh into a Boolean creator plus a box for the size of the first section; the Boolean creator Operation is set to A inside B - means: Boolean-->Extrude->Box order. Transform the box in polygon-mode.
Now you will see just a clipped part of the extruded mesh. Duplicate the whole Boolean-creator - then make editable.
Now go to your duplicate and adjust the next portion by editing the box - when ready duplicate again before making editable and so forth. The cuts will be opened and easy to bridge together after importing-children and the bending. To select a portion use group-select.
(Not sure if your blue lines are in correct size when you want to make it a box shape though)

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• SLH1_cutter_Sheet.jas.zip
    316.8 KB · Views: 196
  • BooleanSheet.png
    BooleanSheet.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 203
Back