UV unwrap PDF

UV unwrap PDF

Hi

I'm looking for the best way to UV unwrap objects. I saw somewhere that you can export to PDF -> update it with graphics in Photoshop or illustrator -> import it again to unwrap. Is there a good tutorial out there showing this? I looked but didn't find a good one that show how and where you have to set the "toggle seam/creace" first so that the uv is well done.

Thanks for helping me in the right direction.

Gille

Do you have any mesh/screenshot to share? Organic and "industrial" shapes are often uwrapped differently for instance.

Cheers
Frank

This is fairly easy - but you have to kill your already established seams by->Select All Seams->Toggle Seam because we don´t need seams here.
Now go in polygon mode and ring-select the first quad-based (not the one with the triangles) polygon ring - with shift+cmd+X expand the selection until it includes the edge of the shield - now call "Unwrap UV with LSCM" - boom - and there you have it - you can now move that unwrapped island aside. Back in 3d-view with still selected polygons go ->Selection->Invert Selection and call "Unwrap UV with LSCM" again. Now you have both islands an can start to arrange the on the template by scaling and moving with the transform-gadget. Do you think you can master this? When finished go "Save UVs To PDF". Load it into your image editing software and paint on. Save as PNG for example and load the image to a new material into the Diffuse-channel. Camera-light source - hit render. Can you follow me? Tip: If you want to render it subdivided you have to make the object first editable to avoid texture stretching.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• UnwrappedShield.png
    UnwrappedShield.png
    92 KB · Views: 309
Back