Reflection Falloff (Again)

Reflection Falloff (Again)

Hi all, I'm looking to achieve the reflection to becoming less visible the further away it is from the object. So it will essentially look like the reflection is fading to nothing.

The scene is simply HDRI, Sphere, Floor (with light reflection and fresnel turned on + a render tag with receive HDRI reflections switched off). I've included an image showing where it's at currently (I'm rendering on both light and dark backgrounds, hence the split)

I once attempted this in the past (see here http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7320) and I managed to get a solution but for some reason I can't recreate it using the same method here.

Can anyone help - Frank, I don't think you've ever let me down before…

Attachments

• falloff.jpg
    falloff.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 279
Are you talking about "Reflection blur" for the plane material?

Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank, I might be. When I tried this I got a more uniform blur - the blur was the same regardless of the distance from the object. Yours seems to blur more further away though?

What I'm hoping to get to is something like…

Attachments

• endresult.jpg
    endresult.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
I think the easiest way (you have to make sure the size of the reflective part suits the size of the reflectivity zone though) is to make a reflectivity map for the plane:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• ReflectionFalloff.jpeg
    ReflectionFalloff.jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 234
That's exactly it. It's kind of where I was going but I didn't get there, can I take a look at your file please Frank?

Back