Material renders differently when mesh is in a Particle Array

Material renders differently when mesh is in a Particle Array

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem.

I have reflective material on an object. I render the scene, and it looks exactly how I want. (see attachment 1)

I create a Particle Array of the object, and render again. This time the material looks completely different and not how I want. (see attachment 2)

I convert the the Particle Array into a normal mesh using the tool 'Particle -> Polygon' then apply my material to it and delete the original array, the material shows correctly again. (see attachment 3)

For my purposes, converting to a normal mesh is not an option, I'm going to have 10s of thousands of instances of an object, and the object is not a simple cube.

Can anyone shed some light on why this is happening? And what I can do about it? I've included a link to the file and the hdri that I used.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qmnlylm7yaqglm7/Material in Array.zip?dl=0

Thanks, in advance!
--Shift Studio

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 276
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 263
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Please try to change at the 2 Turbulence nodes the Sample: to UV1 and it will be identical inside a Particle Array:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• ParticleUV1.jpeg
    ParticleUV1.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 229
Please try to change at the 2 Turbulence nodes the Sample: to UV1 and it will be identical inside a Particle Array:

Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank.

Thanks for looking at this. I actually had tried that.
I agree, they are the same if I do that, although they do not look how I wanted (see image numbers 1 and 3).

I guess I need to change the sample property to UV1 first, then tweak my material over again.

much appreciated.
--shift studio.

They can´t look identical because of the changing environment with all the new objects - don´t you think? If you want it to look the same you have to exclude the "visible-in-reflection" via render-tag for instance:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• ExcludeReflectivity.jpeg
    ExcludeReflectivity.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 233
I know what you're saying. Thats not what I meant - I do want the reflections of the new objects to to be seen, I just meant the bump itself. I had gotten it just how I liked it by tweaking this and that. Then put it in an array and it looked WAY different not just reflections.

I'll show you screen grabs so you can see what I mean. I just can't do it right now.

Thanks again.

Mmmh - you´re saying image 1+3 should look identical for the box and look like in image 3?

Cheers
Frank

Sorry Frank - I don't quite follow what your saying/asking.

Regardless, I understand to get what I want, I'm going to need to use the UV1 sample space in the material nodes.
If I don't unwrap, it will look like #2 below.
If I do, unwrap, I will need to collapse my modifiers, make seams, unwrap, etc in order to not have the stretched weirdness going on. Also, having texture wrap around all corners, without stretching is not quite so simple either when using UVs.

If you know of a way to keep the sample = 3D in material properties and have the object render the same while in a particle array, that would be great to hear.

I've attached two images that show what I'm getting at. I realise at first glance they don't look much different ... but still I often 'sweat the details'

Thanks for any further advice.
--shift studio.

Attachments

• horseshoe1.jpg
    horseshoe1.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 202
  • horseshoe2.jpg
    horseshoe2.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 201
@Frank.

Your original answer answered my question.
I think I'm just going to work with it as I have have it. Maybe like in image number 2 - most of the objects will be too far away to see the stretching and non-contiguous texture.

Thanks for your help.

--shift studio.

Back