Making holes in a wall (with exact measurement)

Making holes in a wall (with exact measurement)

Hi...

I need to make a wall with holes.
Draw 1 segment with 6 holes, then use the Particle Array to multiply, I guess.

Measurement has to be exact with numbers on technical drawings I have on paper.

I've been playing around for quit a while now... but cannot get it right.
Although not in an easy way.
It's a pain to make ringcuts in the exact spot, I do understand the numbers in the statusbar are %, but that is not a real big help as I s*ck in Maths...;)

I made blocks in the size where the ringcut must appear, used the blocks as a guide. But that takes too much time and is not 100% reliable either.

Possibly I am overlooking a very easy way to do it.
Perhaps one of you Wizards have the Golden Tip?

BTW: sizes in real-life are:
rectangle = 280 cm x 208,5 cm
hole = 60 x 85 cm
Space between holes = 20 cm
Space left = 9,5 cm
Space richt = 9 cm

Thnks, Miguel

Attachments

• Galery.jpg
    Galery.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Off the top of my head, I'd make a box with 6 segments, make it editable, select the 6 segments, turn on quantizes, perform an iner extrude with group unchecked and go from there.

Want one minute.:rolleyes:

Cue Frank and his cheeky grin and get a proper answer.

hi miguel,

another suggestion: think negative :smile: , the holes being boxes.
with the box properties and the array properties you can place the boxes exactly where the holes should be.
subtracting this array from a single big box in the boolean creator should give you an exact mesh, though triangled.
you could also do a vertical-three element this way, delete the unwanted diagonal edges and use the array to complete.

- archie

hi miguel,

another suggestion: think negative :smile: , the holes being boxes.
with the box properties and the array properties you can place the boxes exactly where the holes should be.

- archie

Thnx Archie.
Tried this approach also, but was thinking to positive, I guess:p
Your explanation is very useful! Works fine now!

Miguel

Last edited:
there are so many ways to do this, once you found one, an easier one comes to mind :smile:

start with a box with *joint* size (0.2; 0.2; 0.2), extrude quantized 0.6; 0.2; 0.6; 0.2; 0.6; 0.2;
select joint sides and extrude 0.85; now you have the element for array multiplication (delete all opposite joint sides before applying array, making editable and optimizing).

- archie

Bild 3.png

Back