Solid Shader Wipe In

Solid Shader Wipe In

Some time ago Rene66 helped me to Wipe-In a strip object’s Color Material Shader into a scene.

Thought I could apply some of the nodes to a Solid Shader that I found in another thread
(I believe it was a post by Martin helping someone with lighting) to achieve the same effect.
I was unsuccessful.

I’ve attached a jas file that contains:
A) The Solid Shader Matt that I would like to wipe in on a strip
B) The Material Shader that Rene66 developed to wipe a Material Shader in.

Could someone please help me?

My Best Regards
Jeanny

Attachments

• Solid Shader Wipe In.png
    Solid Shader Wipe In.png
    283.2 KB · Views: 260
  • Solid Shader Wipe In.jas.zip
    12.8 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Hey there Jeanny,

This was a bit tricky - so I am giving it my best alternate solution. The previous shader, if I remember correctly, was for a semi transparent object (a sheer piece of fabric), and some of my crazy math nodes in the old material were trying to compensate for that. I can see that what you want to create now is completely opaque.

The Problem:
The Solid Shader (as I understand it), is an Emissive Shader. It does not have a way to create Transparency. And Transparency is how we can have an object "dissolve" from invisible to visible.

The Solution:
I wasn't sure why you needed an Emissive shader, so I made sure that the new Material has emissive qualities. Matching the color and brightness of the "Solid" shader was problematic. If I get the color to match, the brightness is low - if I match the brightness, the color is off. So what I have created is a compromise. Hopefully it gets you where you need to go. To make this adjustment I used the "Multiply" node (a 3.0 matches the color, a 5.0 matches the brightness).

I discovered that my "Color" node has very little effect when I change it. So if you wish to change the color, you must go to the "Gradient" node that has the Teal color in it, and change the color there. Cheers

p.s. hopefully this isn't confusing, please ask if you need more clarity :smile:

Attachments

• Solid Shader Wipe In-2.jas.zip
    18.2 KB · Views: 196
:-D Thanks Rene - you did it!

I sure appreciate your patience and help.

I wasn’t specific enough when I first posted for help. I actually want a semi-transparent material. . .
and I’m glad you guessed I also was hoping to achieve the effect that the emissive creates.
The reason I was trying to use the Solid Shader is because of the brilliant almost iridescent color it produces.
I love the emissive effect on colors.

Your New WIPE-Emissive matt along with your explanation of what was involved in creating such a material
is a great help in my pursuit to understand the material node system better. I have a long way to go.

I was hoping to be able to Keep the bright color from the beginning of the wipe in all the way to the finish
so I tried experimenting a little with your new matt node. When I try to do this it is still mostly hit and miss.
This time something finally worked when i changed the Top Gradient’s right side color square to a bright teal.
That took out the dark undertones at the leading edge of the wipe in. That was really a happy accident for me.

my crazy math nodes

Crazy for you not for me. They Work! Crazy is Good!

My Best Regards
Jeanny

Attachments

• Undertones.png
    Undertones.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 218
  • Solid Shader Wipe In-2C.jas.zip
    10 KB · Views: 192
Back