Exporting best approach?

Exporting best approach?

I have a project I want to save to use again sometime. It has a lot of textures that are located around my computer in different folders in different places.
What is the best way to export this so all textures are gathered together in one folder.
So when I open it again it will load all the textures. Without a long and tedious reloading and hunting down the textures.
Is there a way to do this?
Thanks guys.
Hoping there's a way.

I have a project I want to save to use again sometime. It has a lot of textures that are located around my computer in different folders in different places.
What is the best way to export this so all textures are gathered together in one folder.
So when I open it again it will load all the textures. Without a long and tedious reloading and hunting down the textures.
Is there a way to do this?
Thanks guys.
Hoping there's a way.

Hi,

Try the .FBX export with the embed textures ( see the pref. settings )
I didn't tried it but it seems to me that this should work.

Great question Uncle, I've been wondering about this as well. Most graphics software has an "export project" option that will gather all elements into a single folder. I will have to try this FBX export on my Cheetah files and see how it works. Thanks Francois for your great suggestion. Cheers

I tried this - it did not work as expected.

I set to "Embed Textures" - the image data is INSIDE the FBX file - the external image files are NOT saved separately. I also lost some of the Node data. I had an image file for the Diffuse channel. I used the same image (with a math node to invert) and patched that to the Transparency channel - this information was lost. My image is in the material, but the other nodal programming is gone.

So, I guess I will have to put this on the wish list - or - perhaps there is a way to script this functionality - to save ALL the images used into a folder with a .jas file.

I set to "Embed Textures" - the image data is INSIDE the FBX file - the external image files are NOT saved separately. I also lost some of the Node data. I had an image file for the Diffuse channel. I used the same image (with a math node to invert) and patched that to the Transparency channel - this information was lost. My image is in the material, but the other nodal programming is gone.

So, I guess I will have to put this on the wish list - or - perhaps there is a way to script this functionality - to save ALL the images used into a folder with a .jas file.
I do notice that not until after you open the fbx file back into Cheetah the .fbm file does not show up. Is this some kind of bug in Cheetah?
I'm not a user of nodes.
Just simple diffuse color or texture images.
So I don't run into this.
Sorry no help here.

Last edited:

Sorry if this doesn't work as you want. I don't think the nodes can be scripted ,at this point, to do what you want.
So, yes, that has to go on the script list.
Martin will certainly read it.
But again, as suggested already many times on this forum, the best is to save all textures you need for a model, that you know you will need again in the futur, in the same folder as the .jas file when you use them. That may seems silly but that will save you a lot of time later. Keep in mind that what you are asking is to duplicate the textures files anyway. The only down side for now is that you have to do it manually.

Sorry if this doesn't work as you want. I don't think the nodes can be scripted ,at this point, to do what you want.
So, yes, that has to go on the script list.
Martin will certainly read it.
But again, as suggested already many times on this forum, the best is to save all textures you need for a model, that you know you will need again in the futur, in the same folder as the .jas file when you use them. That may seems silly but that will save you a lot of time later. Keep in mind that what you are asking is to duplicate the textures files anyway. The only down side for now is that you have to do it manually.

I am aware of that way of working but it gets tedious if you have imported models from myriad spots [folders]. and you have to recollect and assign these all over again. It is much easier to save all the models as an fbx and have the textures gathered in the .fbm.

IIt is much easier to save all the models as an fbx and have the textures gathered in the .fbm.

That at least works here as expected. Made simple scene with image based textures from different places of my HD. (Nodes´edit won´t make into fbx of course) - Export to fbx will generate the fbx file as well as the fbm-folder. From my experience the fbm folder will appear later - maybe a finder redraw bug - but it´s there:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• FBXfbm.png
    FBXfbm.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 197
That at least works here as expected. Made simple scene with image based textures from different places of my HD. (Nodes´edit won´t make into fbx of course) - Export to fbx will generate the fbx file as well as the fbm-folder. From my experience the fbm folder will appear later - maybe a finder redraw bug - but it´s there:

Thanks Frank for "rescuing" me. That's right. I had forgotten about this.

Ahhh - so it's an Apple issue.
Last night there was no FBM folder with images inside after I exported.
Today - the folder & images are there.
Weird, but now I know they are there.
THANKS!!!!!

Back