Obj+mtl

Obj+mtl

Heya,

So I'm now officially a content producer for vanishingpoint.biz and they are converting my cheetah content into poser and vue files, which has opened a new stream of income for me. Thats a good thing, especially since as a game dev, I wasnt anywhere near these markets...

The 3ds file format is working nicely, but a more prefered format would be obj+mtl. If I have a scene with two objects, and I use the macro script to export OBJ+MTL, I end up with a file that, upon re-import to cheetah, does not have materials attatched. Will this script only work if I have just one object in scene view, or does it just not work?

Anyone gone down this road?

Cheers
AaronC

They're both video animation tools, Vue is kinda hollywood, and has some issues with exporting meshes, and poser, well I dont really know where it fits in the world, but there seems to be heaps of people using it, for what I dont know, and its license prevents it being used to generate realtime content, so basically dont run out and buy it..The Content paradise site and DAZ seems to thrive on it, so maybe its used in commercials a lot? Not in NZ, but perhaps in the US?

I made this with poser in my film class:
deepwater3d.kol.co.nz/AudioVideo/AudioVideo.htm

A bit messy. The app is very very sophisticated under the hood-I'll be learning more about it, so yeah I'll let you know down the track...

Heres my first model on CP

http://www.contentparadise.com/us/user/industrial_set_for_poser_product_37258

More to come...:smile:

Couldn't have done it without Martin

AaronC

Ahhh thanks M. So if I export a scene with two objects using this script, will that Mtl file contain the reference for both objects materials? or is it a one mtl to one object scenario?

Thanks
AaronC

i did and it is empty. also, i checked line in finder where it should be and all my script folders have nothing in them :-(

osx 10.10 and home/library/app support/c3d/scripts/macro (and others)

btw. thank you, frank, for helping me to solve this :)

I wonder why your script folders are empty.
I attached the OBJ-export script.
When you put in the right folder you need to restart Cheetah3d - otherwise it won´t show up.
When it´s still missing we have to dig deeper.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• OBJ + MTL Export.js.zip
    530 bytes · Views: 240
Hi,
that script is usually installed by default. Please copy the script from Frank into

~/Library/Application Support/Cheetah3D/Scripts/Macro/

folder and restart Cheetah3D. Now it should show up in the

"Tools->Scripts->Macro" menu.

Bye
Martin

thank you, guys, especially for js file i could download.

it is ok now. but i really had all script folders empty. does it have any connection with the fact that i recently got prompt to upgrade to newer version which i did?

once more, thank you :)

Back