My transparent plane still casts a shadow

My transparent plane still casts a shadow

I wonder if anyone can help. I've applied a png image of some text to a plane. I've tagged the 'use alpha' box in the transparency settings. I'm only using radiosity, ambient occlusion to light the scene.

What I'd like is for just the text to show up and the plane that it's on to disappear. It nearly does but the plane still seems to cast a bit of shadow.

I'm not too worried about the text casting a shadow - but I definitely don't want the plane to cast one as it ruins the effect.

Thanks for any help.

Hi and Welcome!
I think the best way to avoid any interaction is to add a render-tag to the textured plane with unchecked: "Casts shadows"+"Visible in radiosity".
If this still won´t help please upload an example file for further inspections.

Cheers
Frank

Ah, I just discovered that - unchecking the radiosity one works - thanks a lot for your help!

Last edited:
You´re welcome.
(Hint: Set the Index of Refraction to 1.0 at the Transparency channel in your material)

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Hi and Welcome!
I think the best way to avoid any interaction is to add a render-tag to the textured plane with unchecked: "Casts shadows"+"Visible in radiosity".
If this still won´t help please upload an example file for further inspections.

Cheers
Frank

In the render tag.Casts shadows is gone?
I'm guessing uncheck visible in shadows? for transparency png as well as refraction setting to 1.0. It seems to work for no shadows cast by in png texture(use alpha). See the Gallery: "Detective" for smoke on a plane.
Instead of any post work.

Last edited:
Back