Get the global coordinates of a point on a spline?

Get the global coordinates of a point on a spline?

I have a spline that I've made editable and I need the global coordinate position of a point on that spline. Selecting the point there doesn't appear to be any obvious way of seeing it's global position. I know I can "Set value" in the World coordinate system, but what I need to know is where it is now to use this as a guide for placing new geometry.

New to Cheetah... have quite a bit of modeling background but no longer have access to Rhino and C4d, so I bought Cheetah because of the cost. Great tool so far, but big learning curve coming from some bigger tools.

Not sure if this will help as a workaround; when the spline is added to a creator object (as a polygon object) you can read out the coords of the spline points with the "ruler-tool":

Cheers
Frank

Aunt Edith says: "In v7 you can read out coords of spline points including handles with the transform- and ruler-tool."

Attachments

• SplineCoords.jpg
    SplineCoords.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
ahaha yea as a workaround that seemed to do the trick. This is going to require some rather interesting virtual jigs to model anything with precision.

Thank you for the tip.

Initially I'm trying to learn this tool and change some old ways of thinking. From a modeling perspective my reason for purchasing is really for creating 3D printable parts for some rc multi rotor ideas I've had. Coming from an design and engineering background I'm used to having pretty precise control of objects and points.

I could probably use Illustrator or and SVG app to create the spline paths then extrude and boolean everything that way. But I'm trying to work with what Cheetah has built in right now to get an idea of what I can do inside.

With the scripting ability (I used LightWave way back and wrote several small scripts to help with things there) it seems like building small tools to snap points or objects to other points would be really straight forward, but without scripting access (that I can find in the docs) to the global position of a point on a spline or otherwise I'm not sure it's even possible at this stage.

An example I could see helpful in molding would be a script that worked in point mode. Given two objects A and B you could select a point on each object P1 and P2 respectively. Then a script would take point P1 from object A and move the whole object so that P1 was at the same location as P2 from object B thus snapping object A to a point on object B relative to a point. With access to the global position of any point via scripting there are all sorts of things that could be accomplished here.

...it seems like building small tools to snap points or objects to other points would be really straight forward, ...

Well -scripting is not my cup of tea - but you might try out snapping with gadget-mode which seems to do what you a describing here - if I´m not mistaken. ;)

Cheers
Frank

Back