Hi, how do I make a ball rotate along its axis as it travels along a spline tracking?

Hi, how do I make a ball rotate along its axis as it travels along a spline tracking?

I'm making the action of a tennis ball struck from one side of the net to the other side so I have attached the ball along a spline track so it follows all way thru over the net and bounces up on the other side. That all is working fine... BUT I also want to have the ball be rotating as that is the effect it gets as the ball is struck, so want show the ball in rotating motion as it travels along the spline-path. When I try to apply a rotation to the ball it doesnt let me as it locks back into position...

appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Last edited:

I'm making the action of a tennis ball struck from one side of the net to the other side so I have attached the ball along a spline track so it follows all way thru over the net and bounces up on the other side. That all is working fine... BUT I also want to have the ball be rotating as that is the effect it gets as the ball is struck, so want show the ball in rotating motion as it travels along the spline-path. When I try to apply a rotation to the ball it doesnt let me as it locks back into position...

appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Tricky to do and trial and error needed at times with Cheetah 3D. I might consider putting it into a master/blue folder, then figure out a way to rotate the character inside that folder if possible.
I'm trying to think how I did it with my animations in the past. I remember the character, as soon as he started running along the path, would be facing the wrong direction, sideways. I'd have to pull out my notes, but they're on another computer. I got him to face the right way as needed by adjusting rotation to -90 before attaching him to the spline.
Rotating possible with target tag, or the lead folder, and rotate inside of it, or rotate the folder possibly? I forget but if I get a chance later, will try to post a solution.
But that is food for thought anyway that might give you some ideas.

Sorry I couldn't help more, just very busy at the moment.

"Orient-constraint"-tag is the key. Add a folder to the scene and keyframe it´s rotation along "H"-axis. Now add an "orient constraint-tag" to the ball and drag the keyframed folder as a target to it.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• SpinningBallAlongPath.jpeg
    SpinningBallAlongPath.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 269
Good suggestion Frank. :icon_thumbup: Thanks.

I was thinking of a Target Tag but forgot exactly how it's done unless I pulled up that file I had awhile back.

Back