Tips for tyre animation

Tips for tyre animation

Currently tearing my hair out a bit. I have been tasked with animating a flat car tyre.

I have found a tutorial for 3DS and it seems very simple to do using FFD's in that application. However searches for similar tools in Cheetah 3D have proved fruitless.

I can use bending and bulging etc, but it does not give the same effect or as controllable as the FFD option in 3DS. Another difference is that FFD's can be kept in orientation in relation to the object, so that if you rotate the object the deformation affects only the relevant area, i.e. on the floor where the tyre will go flat under the weight of the car.

There doesn't seem to be any option for this in Cheetah 3D.

Is there any way I could possibly create this animation in C3D or will I hit a brick wall with it?

Currently tearing my hair out a bit. I have been tasked with animating a flat car tyre.

I have found a tutorial for 3DS and it seems very simple to do using FFD's in that application. However searches for similar tools in Cheetah 3D have proved fruitless.

I can use bending and bulging etc, but it does not give the same effect or as controllable as the FFD option in 3DS. Another difference is that FFD's can be kept in orientation in relation to the object, so that if you rotate the object the deformation affects only the relevant area, i.e. on the floor where the tyre will go flat under the weight of the car.

There doesn't seem to be any option for this in Cheetah 3D.

Is there any way I could possibly create this animation in C3D or will I hit a brick wall with it?
Welcome to the forum.

Explain the animation further, do you want the tire rolling, or just animating the deflation?

Thanks ZooHead. I need the wheel to be rotating and then suffer a blow out and come to a stop. It needs to be enough to be able to show the tyre deflating and misaligning on the rim.

The Bulge Modifier set to Type: "in cage", only effects what's in the "cage" of the modifier.
The problem is if the parent object rotates, so do the children,
and the modifier is a child of the tire so it rotates to.

Let me play around with it a little. In the mean time, someone else may have the answer.

Attachments

• Flat Tire.jpg
    Flat Tire.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 268

Franks got it, as usual. Adding and animating a transform modifier.
Put the transform modifier on the top of the hierarchy.

Attachments

• Flat Tire02.jpg
    Flat Tire02.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 243
Back