Have fun.

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• KnurlTutorial.jpeg
    KnurlTutorial.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 2,141
Knurl with bump map

I managed to get a knurl I was happy with using a bump map, which you can see in the upper image below.

I set the bump map to to tile in U and V on the material. I used a bump intensity of 5.0. I played with the UV scale, using X=20, Y=5 to set the scale of the knurl.

The final result is at the bottom. Not bad for my first Cheetah3D model!

Attachments

• Knife_image.png
    Knife_image.png
    99 KB · Views: 1,955
  • Knurl.png
    Knurl.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 4,788
what did you use for your aluminum texture? it came out really nice

I managed to get a knurl I was happy with using a bump map, which you can see in the upper image below.

I set the bump map to to tile in U and V on the material. I used a bump intensity of 5.0. I played with the UV scale, using X=20, Y=5 to set the scale of the knurl.

The final result is at the bottom. Not bad for my first Cheetah3D model!

Brushed Aluminum Settings

Rock d'Funk: here are the settings I used for the brushed aluminum texture. No bump map or other textures, just high Angle and Samples numbers.

Attachments

• Brushed Al settings.png
    Brushed Al settings.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,664
Rock d'Funk: here are the settings I used for the brushed aluminum texture. No bump map or other textures, just high Angle and Samples numbers.

I'm trying to reduce rendering times, and blurred refractions are killer. Any tips for a close-enough-looking aluminum texture without the big rendering times? I have a 30sec animation at 1366x768 and I'm trying to make render time in days rather than weeks!

many thanks

Great material

Your aluminium material works great. I never put much time into materials but I can now see how much better a model can look when you get it right. Thanks for your help on this. My iPhone model is starting to look much better.
Still a work in progress though.

Cheers

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 745
Thanks Frank and smfr. Gonna use both techniques. Franks on a cylinder and smfr's on a more organic surface (and doesn't have uniform sized polys)
--shift studio.

would like to see it.
I adapted yours to suit my needs as well.
- but mine became more labourous - haha
--shift studio.

Last edited:
Back