Stop Objects from penetrating each other

Stop Objects from penetrating each other

I am trying to make a group of strips flutter in the wind without penetrating each other.

I tried for several days now to use countless variations of the soft body Properties and other settings -
and the Wind Effector’s settings.
I've attached one of my many trials.

I don’t know where to go from here.

Is this possible in V7?
If so could you give me some specific settings to do so?

If not is there another method I could use to accomplish this?

My Best Regards
Jeanny

Attachments

• Ribbons Penetrate.png
    Ribbons Penetrate.png
    189.8 KB · Views: 396
  • Ribbons.jas.zip
    31 KB · Views: 184
Did you use self-collision? I did some experiments and it seems it works better with a very thin, but solid object compared with a single-sided object + checking two-sided.

Not really ribbons but why not use an image with stripes and alpha channel mapped as a flag?

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Flag.gif
    Flag.gif
    423.8 KB · Views: 386
Hi,
I'm using the Bullet physics engine for the soft body simulation. Unluckily self intersection testing isn't fully implemented in Bullet yet. But as far as I know they have it on their todo list.

Bye
Martin

Thanks Pod

I've tried using Self-collision but I don't know if my object was thin or solid enough.
By Solid and Thin what are you referring to e.g.: Mass, Stiffness, Geometry?

My Best Regards
Jeanny

Thanks Frank.
That looks like a good idea if I can't get the individual ribbons to individually flutter about more.
It is also good to keep in mind for other projects that would require separation of objects.

My Best Regards
Jeanny

Thanks for the info Martin.
It's good to know that it will eventually be implemented.
I bet with that capability "Hair" (when it is added) in C3D will be fabulous.

Meanwhile thanks so much for what you have already developed in C3D.

My Best Regards
Jeanny

Thanks Frank

I'm going to play around with this a while and see if I can get the ribbons to toss about a bit more.

My Best Regards
Jeanny

Frank: your particular Soft Body Settings & object placement helped tremendously in getting the ribbons to flutter and not penetrate.

Wanting a more active flutter I have been spending quite some time off and on experimenting.
I found that the following makes a difference not only in the flutter but in preventing the animation from blowing up:

1 Spacing between the ribbons on the X , Y & Z axis. Even just one pixel makes a difference.
2 The smallest difference in size (even just one pixel) whether it’s on the XY or Z axis.
3 Added Modifiers.
4 Naturally which Soft Body properties are used & their values. Again even one pixel makes a difference.

It seems Frank’s Soft Body Settings and object spacing is what it takes in the first place to keep the objects from penetrating. . . most importantly are the Solver settings.

I only made minor changes when stacking the Ribbons in a different order.
Because the objects seem to need a lot of spacing to keep from blowing up
I have tried to rearrange the Camera position to illusion that the strips are all stemming from the same point.

I’m still struggling with making the ribbons fan out right from the left starting point rather than further in from the right of this point.

A) I can’t get the taper right
B) The Pink and Lavender ribbons are much bigger appearing than the rest because they are closer to the camera. When I try to make them smaller so they appear the same size as the rest I run into problems of the animation blowing up.

Still trying and getting closer to my goal.

BTW I'm using Beta V7 with it's Cheetah Renderer

Thanks so much

My Best Regards
Jeanny

Attachments

• Ribbons Flutter.gif
    Ribbons Flutter.gif
    447 KB · Views: 294
  • Ribbons Flutter 1.png
    Ribbons Flutter 1.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 230
Last edited: