Help with rendering glass

Help with rendering glass

Can anyone explain why every time I attempt to render glass I get a metallic effect curling up on the left and right sides of the object? Thanks in advance for your help. :smile:

Attachments

• Metallic Glass.png
    Metallic Glass.png
    96.7 KB · Views: 243
  • Glass Test.zip
    15.7 KB · Views: 206
Hi Steven,
Select all polygons, go to tools and 'flip normals' (actually, I don't even think you need to select all polygons, it seems to work with just selecting your object in the object browser, then flip normals)

Erin
Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Attachments

• flip normals.jpg
    flip normals.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Hi and welcome!
may I ask you how did you make this mesh? there's indeed a normal issue but curiously the "flip normal" command doesn't affect the sides...

cheers,
Alessandro

Attachments

• Schermata 2010-05-15 a 09.38.57.png
    Schermata 2010-05-15 a 09.38.57.png
    130.8 KB · Views: 231
The browser entry suggests a spline/lathe creation. It´s easy to mess up with normals - but it´s easy to fix: the lathe creator allows to "flip normals" and "reversing" the spline will do the same. ;-)

Cheers
Frank

First, thank you, Erin, SurfingAlien, and Frank. Your comments provided me with a general understanding of what was going on and allowed me to resolve the issue.

Frank, You're correct. I used spline and lathe to create the object. I recreated the glass object using two cylinders and the boolean subtract function, and the object rendered just fine without having to adjust anything. So, the issue was indeed with my spline/lathe.

I know this is another subject, but I was wondering if there was a way to convert an object back to its native components (spline/lathe) after it's become a PolygonObject?

Thanks again.

I know this is another subject, but I was wondering if there was a way to convert an object back to its native components (spline/lathe) after it's become a PolygonObject?
No - no way back - but you always can keep a duplicate hidden in the same scene. And if you´re just using simple shaders and no complicated UV mapping you can stay with the creators as long as you wish to. You don´t have to make it editable just for rendering purposes.

Cheers
Frank

No - no way back - but you always can keep a duplicate hidden in the same scene. And if you´re just using simple shaders and no complicated UV mapping you can stay with the creators as long as you wish to. You don´t have to make it editable just for rendering purposes.

Cheers
Frank

Understood. Thanks again, Frank. :smile:

I recreated the glass object using two cylinders and the boolean subtract function, and the object rendered just fine without having to adjust anything.

Hi Steve,
I'm glad you got the help you needed.
I'm just a newbie here, but you could also try to create a glass using just a cylinder and the shell tool. It might be easier than using boolean
-create your cylinder, select to top and delete
-select all and use the shell tool to make the glass the thickness you want

Erin

Attachments

• glass via cylinder.jpg
    glass via cylinder.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 221
Hi Steve,
I'm glad you got the help you needed.
I'm just a newbie here, but you could also try to create a glass using just a cylinder and the shell tool. It might be easier than using boolean
-create your cylinder, select to top and delete
-select all and use the shell tool to make the glass the thickness you want

Erin

Thanks, Erin. I tried your suggested technique and it worked great.

I'm a newbie with Cheetah3D too and I'm still trying to get familiar with the selection of tools and various ways to create and manipulate models. I haven't used 3D modeling software in years, so I'm trying to re-learn what I learned almost 20 years ago. So far, I'm very impressed with Cheetah3D's ease of use. I'm also very grateful that people like you are so willing to provide assistance when needed. :smile:

Back