Asset Exchange?

Asset Exchange?

Hello,

Since I am new to the Cheetah3D world, I was wondering if there is a common place where people can upload their assets to share with others? This would be very helpful to me and other newbies I imagine.

I notice this is done on this forum, but the uploads are not categorized or catalogued.

I was imagining an "Open Source" model where people could donate textures, models, etc. for the good for the greater Cheetah3D community. If this does not exist, I would be happy to setup such a site for free**. Maybe using a Wiki engine?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

- - -

** In this case free = free, no advertising, dues, etc.

An asset library would be another benefit of having a wiki.

There's been some discussion already of a materials library, but this seems to be scattered about among various posts.

I've already wished for a wiki here:
http://www.cheetah3d.de/forum/showthread.php?t=2663
- but so far not much support for the idea it seems.

what do you propose as regards choice of wiki engine, hosting etc?

I would use my default ISP (1and1 Internet). Just setup the latest MediaWiki on a domain I already own.

As long as the storage requirements didn't get too crazy...

Is that what you are asking?

Broom?

Hello,

Continuing to learn C3D, and loving it. I have a quick question, and could not find a prior example in this forum. I am trying to make a broom. Nothing fancy, just something like this:

broom.jpg

My questions is:

How do I make the bristles? Ideally each bristle is an individual element.

More than one of the C3D experts just making a broom and posting it, I'd prefer if people gave me a few tips/tricks to do this and I'll try to make it myself.

Thanks,

You could try tg_jp's hair script (just search in the scripts forum)...

edit: oops, I've just seen your other thread on this... looks like tg_jp's tricological powers work on brooms as well as heads... planning a remake of The Scorcerers Apprentice?

Last edited:
Back to my original question!

Okay,

I if I setup a site for people to share C3D assets:

1. Would a Wiki (WikiMedia) be the right engine?
  2. Would you contribute? (Reply "yes" if you would)
  3. What is the best top-level structure?
    1. Materials
    2. Models
    3. Scripts
    4. ????

If I see enough interest, I will set this up. I will pay for it: no advertisements / no fees. I just want to give back to this community.

Regards,

I kind of think I'm already contributing ;-)

Actually I think the easiest thing to do would be for Martin to create a new forum on this board and call it "Shared Assets" ... state the rules up top (anything you post here should be Creative Commons or whatever). Or even a set of forums with subforums -- Materials, Models, Scripts, etc.

One good thing about the board is the size limit on attachments enforces a certain amount of discipline on posters. My guess is anything with unlimited attachments (or large limits) would result in 95% of the space being occupied by garbage uploaded by people who don't know how to compress files or can't be bothered to pare examples down.

Setting up multiple websites, wikis, etc. fragments the community. Everyone already knows how to use this board and has memorized this url...

Podperson, I agree 100% with your point about not fragmenting the community, and there's already forum areas for scripts and tutorials, so adding areas for materials and models would be easy.

BUT... while I think the forum format is great for keeping the community alive and talking (and C3D has a very active, generous and supportive community), there are some things that the format is not so good at, such as:

- Organising information; ever done a search for "DXF" or "UV"? no results. But try searching for "rendering" and you get 500 threads. Even really useful topics can end up spread over many posts (or even threads), and even when someone like yourself is organised enough to distill the subject matter down into a few succinct frames of comic life, it can be hard work wading through all the less relevant bits. Another example: how many times has someone posted a list of links to useful resources? Shouldn't that be one master list that people can add to?

- Collaboration; forum posts are easy to edit, but you can only edit your own. I'd love to see something that could be started by one person and then improved by others. Think of all the times people have asked about a book on C3D, and then imagine if Martin's very terse (sorry Martin) manual could be expanded and illustrated with all the best bits of what gets posted on the forum.

These are things that I believe a wiki could offer, especially if it could be fully integrated with the current forum, to avoid the fragmentation problem. But that would be up to Martin to provide.

Last edited:
Back