Bump mapping problem with tongue texture

Bump mapping problem with tongue texture

I need help with a bump map problem. I'm trying to create a tongue texture. My bump map is just an image with some blurred noise to it, and I've applied it to my tongue poly, which was imported as an OBJ. The bump would work fine for a sphere but as soon as the object is stretched, the bump map stretches with it. Can I apply it evenly on the surface regardless of the object's proportions?

link to a render
http://www.miranda-info.com/temp/tongue.jpg

Thanks

looks like your in-for some uv mapping! :smile: I didn't get the hang of it until just a few weeks ago. Search the forum for "UV" or something and see what you can find. or check out the tutorials that come with C3D.

Greg

Can I apply it evenly on the surface regardless of the object's proportions?
Perhaps in this case you could benefit from the UV mapper tool on cylindrical mode. Just rotate the UV cylinder itself, flatten it a bit, and it should fit fairly closely.

I tried what you said, but still I have a distortion on the bump map.
any ideas?
Perhaps distorting the image in Photoshop to follow the shape of the UV polygons. Maybe the image you are using for the UV map has too low a resolution, or not enough detail. Hard to say from here.

Perhaps distorting the image in Photoshop to follow the shape of the UV polygons. Maybe the image you are using for the UV map has too low a resolution, or not enough detail. Hard to say from here.

tried 1024 x 1024, 2048 x 2048, the problem is always the same

the tongue was modelled in Maya and exported in OBJ, could it be because the poly is not native Cheetah?

I'm totally stumped here!

eureka!

I think I found it. I've arrived at something good enough. The problem I think was that I wasn't "writing the UV" coords. So it always displayed the same.

Here is a screen shot of the setup, Bottom left is the bump map. I don't have a UV texture yet, but I at least seemed to have solved the bump problem.

here is the final setup

http://www.miranda-info.com/temp/final-setup.png

Thanks all for your help!

Hi.
So no wire again?
Well then take this one as long as you can´t figure out to make a snapshot of the wired mesh.;)
Hope this is helpful anyway.

With kindest regards
Frank

Well - seemed I missed Page 2.

Attachments

• Tongue.jpg
    Tongue.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 3,333
Last edited:
Hi.
So no wire again?
Well then take this one as long as you can´t figure out to make a snapshot of the wired mesh.;)
Hope this is helpful anyway.

With kindest regards
Frank

look at passed threads, it's there, look before you make smart ass comments :) (see how you can say anything as long as you put a smiley face at the end)

Back