Now what am I doing wrong?

Now what am I doing wrong?

I created seven similar objects in TurboCAD3D, exported them as .stl and imported them into Cheetah.

I then resurfaced them to reduce the polygon count and saved them as .jas.

The problem? Textures & lighting don't work well and HRDI doesn't appear to work at all.

Lighting: Light sources (area, ambient, spot & SkyLight), even at very high values, have little effect on surfaces.

Imported textures, jpg & tiff, are not visible. Textures I create using Cheetah generators work though not well.

In the first the wood floor texture is from a a .jpg the transparency is a material created in Cheetah.

In the second, each element of the pedestal is textured with the same pattern as that used on the floor in the first. One of the objects attaches the texture correctly but the others do not.

All objects were created the same way & all textures were applied to each of the objects in the same manner.

The light sources are cranked up very high and the HDRI is not visible at all.

I have attached the .jas file as a zip.

...sluggy

Attachments

• tumbledTransparent640.jpg
    tumbledTransparent640.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 431
  • tumbledWood640.jpg
    tumbledWood640.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 439
  • TumbledPedShallow20080212fa.jas.zip
    18 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Dear slugthog

A quick look at your file and I noticed that you had the hdr power set to 50 !

also the scale was massive ( maybe a direct import translation from turbocad )

Turned of the sunlight and all the other lights and used the pianobar hdr from the examples files in Cheetah and ...you start to get something I think closer to what you are after.

I have attached the modified jas file so you can get an idea of the settings

Regards

Luke

Attachments

• ped.jpg
    ped.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 421
  • TumbledPedShallow.zip
    13.5 KB · Views: 241
Luke,

Thank you that helped.

There a still a couple things I don't quite understand.

also the scale was massive ( maybe a direct import translation from turbocad )

Where do I find the scale of a Cheetah drawing? I am certain that it is obvious and I am just overlooking it.

Can I scale the HDRI tag on the camera? The background I want to use is immense compared to the rest of the rendering.

Why does this texture not render properly on most of the objects?

...sluggy the befuddled

I tried importing the six children into the parent object in the vain hope that would make the textures behave properly. Alas, 'twas a vain hope indeed.

For some reason the textures are rendered properly in the second item but in none of the others. The reflective brass texture that I created in Cheetah renders properly but the wood materials that I created using a jpg for the texture renders only that second item.

I have included the .jas again & all of the textures in the hope that someone will be able to see what I am missing.
...sluggy the still befuddled

Attachments

• tumbledPedBrass.jpg
    tumbledPedBrass.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 375
  • Wood, Rosewood.jpg
    Wood, Rosewood.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 377
  • Wood, White Oak.jpg
    Wood, White Oak.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 382
  • TumbledPedShallow20080213a.jas.zip
    27.2 KB · Views: 226
  • Ceramic Tile, Blue.jpg
    Ceramic Tile, Blue.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
Hi.
Well - first I turned camera light off, put in HDRI to the tag. Change to radiosity instead of AO, set specular/diffuse scatterings to 1. Changed the settings of the vase mat: lower the ambient and diffuse part to near 0, increase transparency near 1, set refraction 1.4 and checked "fresnel". The inner light needs shadow raytraced through transparency. Increase Lathe sections for a smoother appearance of the vase. Floor mat: don´t mix the texture it with white. Crank down the ambient and diffuse part of the brass material. Hope I didn´t miss one - not quite sure ;)

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• TumbledPed.jpg
    TumbledPed.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 357
Very helpful, Frank.

Still doesn't explain why the jpg texture applied to the material doesn't render or show in the editor. Notice in your rendering that the material appears only on the one surface.

...sluggy

Still doesn't explain why the jpg texture applied to the material doesn't render or show in the editor. Notice in your rendering that the material appears only on the one surface.

Hi.
I didn´t make any changes to the UV mapping, so I thought it has to be that way. :redface:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• TumbleWeed.jpg
    TumbleWeed.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 292
Back