Version 6

I know pretty well which features will be in v6 but that is still secret.

For the release date I currently plan the end of 2011.

There will be still some 5.x releases first.:wink:

Bye
Martin

http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19703&postcount=19

From the above link, here is what 5.x's new material system was supposed to give us (bold items appear not to have been delivered yet):

-build custom materials
-build reusable material libraries
-blurred reflections/refractions
-full alpha channel support (for icon rendering)
-shadow materials
-multi layer rendering
-bump map backing
-anisotropic materials
-SSS
-volume textures
-volumetric fog
-importance sampling of BRDFs
-prepared for displacement mapping ???
-coatings
-fresnel effect on metals
-and more

Not complaining. Most of these things don't affect me. (I'd prefer motion blur over all of these items.)

considering the amount of new features the 5.x series has already given, it would be extremely good to have just one or two things from that list before 6.0

if I had to choose one, I'd vote for SSS

cheers,
Alessandro

Personally, I'd like to see some older tools improved. Two examples: Bevel still does not give you more rounding with more levels; you still can't move around the Node window by holding any key combination and dragging.
However, volumetric materials would be awesome too. Not too sure about SSS, tho, isn't it going out of fashion a bit?

However, volumetric materials would be awesome too. Not too sure about SSS, tho, isn't it going out of fashion a bit?

my choice depends on the fact that volumetrics can be faked or added in post quite easily while SSS cannot but I'm pretty sure any on us has something different in mind... don't know how the CG fashion goes but some materials are really hard to fake in a photorealistic way without SSS

to be honest my first wish at the moment is putting my hands on Hiroto's new bullet physics script ;)

cheers,
Alessandro

Geeking out right about now

http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19703&postcount=19

From the above link, here is what 5.x's new material system was supposed to give us (bold items appear not to have been delivered yet):

-build custom materials
-build reusable material libraries
-blurred reflections/refractions
-full alpha channel support (for icon rendering)
-shadow materials
-multi layer rendering
-bump map backing
-anisotropic materials
-SSS
-volume textures
-volumetric fog
-importance sampling of BRDFs
-prepared for displacement mapping ???
-coatings
-fresnel effect on metals
-and more

Not complaining. Most of these things don't affect me. (I'd prefer motion blur over all of these items.)

Ooh! Ooh! Volumetric fog! Ooh ooh! Multi layer rendering!

I think my brain just exploded from sheer awe. :D :icon_thumbup: :icon_thumbup:

-- GS

Thanks all

Thank you for all the replies. It's nice to know this is such an active forum;)

I am new to the 3D world, so I'm not sure I completely understand all of what is being discussed (like what is SSS?). I am planning on creating a web series and I need to be able to incorporate some 3D elements into my video greenscreen. Mostly outer space kinds of things, maybe some alien landscapes, buildings, space ships, maybe some inside scenes. Who knows.

Cheetah is an amazing tool for the cost, I hope I can get it all figured out. Going through all the tutorials at the moment.

Thanks,

Holly

Last edited:
Hi,
the missing things of this list posted by podperson are still on my todo list but the v6 feature set looks pretty different to that list.:wink:

Bye
Martin

P.S. Cheetah3D already supports "coatings" in the glossy shader.:wink:

So I simply add my most wanted features, hope martin has some of them on his roadmap for 6:

- 16bit displacements
- 32bit float displacements
- micropolygon displacement (render only)
- volumemetric materials and lights (combined with the new physics script smoke and fire would finally be there)
- sss
- hair/fur tools and rendering

Hi,
will announce the v6 features in the not too distant future. v6 will mainly focus on animation, modeling and some UI improvements. New rendering features have to wait for 6.x updates. The features set of v6 is already pretty fixed and I don't plan to extend it since it would just delay v6. :wink:

Bye
Martin

Hi,
will announce the v6 features in the not too distant future. v6 will mainly focus on animation, modeling and some UI improvements. New rendering features have to wait for 6.x updates. The features set of v6 is already pretty fixed and I don't plan to extend it since it would just delay v6. :wink:

Bye
Martin

AWESOME!!! :D

-- GS

Back