Creating QTVR movies with the "QTVR Helper" script

Creating QTVR movies with the "QTVR Helper" script

Hi,
here is just a small explanation how you can create a QTVR panorma with the "QTVR Helper" script.

First you need the free "QTVR Make Cubic" tool form Apple. You can find it at:

Now it's time to start.

1. Set up the scene you want to render.
2. Position the camera at the center of the planed QTVR.
3. Set the camera "resolution width" and "resolution height" to the same value. So that you get a squared formt for each image. For example set the output resolution to 512x512.
4. Call the "QTVR Helper.js" script.
5. Cheetah3D now renders the six necessary images for a QTVR.
6. Save the six images in the order they were rendered with the names image1, image2, image3, image4, image5 and image6.
7. Drag and drop the six images onto the "QTVR Make Cubic" application icon.
8. "QTVR Make Cubic" creates now a QTVR movie and saves it with the name image.mov to your hard disc.
9. Double click the image.mov file and enjoy your new QTVR panorama:)

You can of course replace the word "image" in all the filenames arbitrarily.

By,
Martin

P.S. The automatic saving of the files will be added later.

Hi mac4ever,
sorry my fault. I forgot to mention that you have to set the output resolution (of the camera object) to a squred format like 500x500.

I added this point to the above description.

If you feed "Make Cubic" with quadratic images it shouldn't crash.

By,
Martin

I trying it now Martin and I'm getting the spinning beachball. Is it rendering all six at one time because all Cheetah functions have stopped.

Well...300x300 worked fine, but 800x800 gives me the beachball Martin. I tried two different scenes and they would not render at that size. I'll force quit and start at 300 and work my way up to see where it quits working.

Hi Jake,
if you run a script Cheetah3D is blocked until the script is finished. Otherwise two script could interact and cause unexpected troubles. So it is normal that you see the beach ball while the script is executing. Due to the fact that the script starts 6 rendering jobs it could take some time until it is finalized.

But it you have a scene which really hangs up Cheetah3D please mail it to me so that I could try to solve the problem. Normally the image resolution should have no impact for executing the script.

By,
Martin

Martin said:
Hi Jake,
if you run a script Cheetah3D is blocked until the script is finished. Otherwise two script could interact and cause unexpected troubles. So it is normal that you see the beach ball while the script is executing. Due to the fact that the script starts 6 rendering jobs it could take some time until it is finalized.

But it you have a scene which really hangs up Cheetah3D please mail it to me so that I could try to solve the problem. Normally the image resolution should have no impact for executing the script.

By,
Martin

I had one that rendered five images and just stopped rendering. As usual I went whole hog, so it was at 800x800, full radiosity, HDRI-the works. I'll try again tomorrow and send a file if it doesn't work.

peer said:
The tool works for me (resolution 500x500, HDRI and radiosity). I'll try and upload the file somewhere.

[edit] http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/peerman/sk377/cheetah/atrium_qtvr.mov

That looks great Peer.

I'm going to try it again. It worked for me too at 400x400 but when I cranked it up to 800x800 it just couldn.t cut it for some reason. I've used Francois's camera rig and that worked fine, but the scripted version bogs down for some reason. I'm on a dual 2.5 g5 with 4 gigs of ram for crying out loud, so I'm not sure what the problem might be.

Just checked my settings. I'm so sorry but my rendering is 400x400. I need some coffee I guess. Stupid me. I'm checking 800x800 now as well.

It made it all the way through at 800x800. I'm not sure what happened yesterday-maybe too many apps open.

Thanks Peer. Thanks Martin for another great tool.

Oh Martin, now that you have conquered the panning VRs, could you whip up a script for Object VRs too? :D

Jake --> Yes it's a study for an atrium in a shopping mall that we're designing at our office ( btw I work at an architects office). Yesterday I heard this design was cancelled and we have to make something different, something cheaper probably :). But then I can create another VR :) the scene is lit by a HDRI map and a sun, that's it. I'll post some settings if you like. Have a nice weekend, I'm going to celebrate queensday here in Holland!

Back