Export to 3ds material problem

Export to 3ds material problem

I was wondering if anyone else has come across any of these issues or has a possible solution for me:

When I export a model to 3ds the following happens....
1. When I open in a secondary program (Live Interior 3D), materials disappear and don't give me the import option through Live Interior - when I use a j-peg that's on my desktop for the diffuse, then it DOES give me the option to import and everything is fine. Even if I don't choose to import the material, it does it automatically.
2. When I reopen the 3ds model in Cheetah, all the materials are gone, again, except for the one that uses an image on my desktop.

Strange, no?

My first thought was that it was a location thing, but maybe it's a software issue (although, I believe both j-pegs were created in Photoshop, but I may need to look into that).

Thanks,
Erin

Last edited:
My first thought was that it was a location thing, but maybe it's a software issue (although, I believe both j-pegs were created in Photoshop, but I may need to look into that).

Thanks,
Erin

UPDATE:
I just copied the other image I used to my desktop and created a new material from it and everything seems fine.
Is it a bug that's preventing Cheetah from finding the image I had used or do I need to keep a copy of all images I use in a separate folder somewhere for Cheetah (seems kind of strange that I would need to do this though).
FYI - the image that it couldn't find was just in a separate folder on my desktop.:confused:

Erin

UPDATE:
I just copied the other image I used to my desktop and created a new material from it and everything seems fine.
Is it a bug that's preventing Cheetah from finding the image I had used or do I need to keep a copy of all images I use in a separate folder somewhere for Cheetah (seems kind of strange that I would need to do this though).
This is one of the 3ds-restrictions. Put the file along its materials into 1 folder. There´ya go.:D

Cheers
Frank

Thanks for confirming Frank.
I'll have to set up some sort of workflow that will work well between the two programs. I don't think that this will be a problem because Live Interior creates it own material library of png images so the originals can be stored anywhere.

Just out of curiosity, is there anyway of tagging the images when I export to 3ds that will save them to the same folder?

Erin

Last edited:
Back