illustrator import?

illustrator import?

I can't figure out how to import a vector image from illustrator CS into cheetah. I tried multiple formats and even the dxf does'nt do anything for me? I'm so use to drawing in ill. that being able to import from it would be great! Any Ideas?

Re: illustrator import?

azteck2 said:
I can't figure out how to import a vector image from illustrator CS into cheetah. I tried multiple formats and even the dxf does'nt do anything for me? I'm so use to drawing in ill. that being able to import from it would be great! Any Ideas?

I don't use illustrator that much, but could it be you have to convert to line segments. Does Cheetah support import of bezier curves? Just a stab in the dark.

Hi azteck2,
Cheetah3D has a Illustrator CS import script. You can find it in the menu "Tools->Run srcipt->Illustrator CS import.js".

Cheetah3D only imports the Bezier paths from a Illustrator CS file. Not the text, patterns, etc. But the import of the Bezier paths is probably what you are searching for.

By,
Martin

I found the script and ran it and it did list a spline object in my list but I can't see it in my scene or render it?. am I doing something wrong? Should I make pdf compatible be on or off, and I do have compression off should it be on? Thanks for the replies!

Hi,
writing a robust .ai importer is quite difficult. That's the reason why the .ai importer is a example script and not a fully supported feature in Cheetah3D at the moment.

But it should normally work. Since I don't own Illustrator it is quite difficult for me to tell you how to set the exporter settings correctly. But here are some tips.

1. Compression should be off.
2. All objects should be Bezier splines.

Maybe Roger from the following thread knows how to do it because he told that he imported successfully from Illustrator.
http://cheetah3d.de/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32

By,
Martin

I found so far that the file must be a Illustrator CS native .ai file with keep pdf compatiable file checked, and no compression. One question though, once imported, how do I "fill-in" the spline, or make it polygons?

Back