Cheetah3D 3.1 Beta 1

Cheetah3D 3.1 Beta 1

Hi,
here is the first public beta of 3.1. The biggest enhancement is probably the "Smart Folder" object which can be used to link an external 3D file to an Cheetah3D scene. So everybody is welcome to test that feature.
But there are also some other small goodies like auto-highlightig for the select tool or an accelerated raytracer.

A list of the other new features and bug fixes can be found here.

Code:
-Added "Smart Folder" object
-Added Auto-highlighting to select tool
-Added "UV Editing" menu command to layout menu
-Added "export UV" and "export Normals" property to FBX export
-Added "Simple ASCII Export" example script
-Added some new Javascript functions necessary to write exporters which also export materials
   -Polycore::materialTagIndex(Number pindex)
   -Object::materialTag()
   -Tag::linkedToMaterial()
-Added "use existing materials" property to all file loaders which load materials
-Accelerated raytracer
-Fixed tranforum tool quantize bug
-File .jas loading bug (material preview)
-Fix bug in movie preview in render manager
-Fixed bug in Unwrap tools
-Fixed camera zoom bug
-Updated some old scripts
-Removed "Illustrator import scripts". Please use the PDF importer instead.
-many other small bug fixes

Download link:
http://cheetah3d.com/download/Cheetah3D3.1b1.dmg

But please be aware that this is beta software.

Please post all your experiences with this beta version in this forum thread.

Many thanks for your help.

By,
Martin

Last edited:
Hi Martin, just tested the new beta. I found out that rendering actually goes slower rather then faster.Rendering the Gispen chair in 3.0.1 took 1252 seconds and in the Beta it took 1283 seconds. I can send the file (without textures)? What acceleration did you put in the raytracer? I hope I can help out!

Regards,

Peter

edit : It seems I forgot to turn off my screensaver when rendering in 3.1 Beta
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The selection highlight and the smart folders are very cool!! Switching between Sketchup and Cheetah went great!! When I used the UV Editor window the program crashed after switching between 3d view and the uv editor a couple of times.

Regards,

Peter

peer said:
Hi Martin, just tested the new beta. I found out that rendering actually goes slower rather then faster.Rendering the Gispen chair in 3.0.1 took 1252 seconds and in the Beta it took 1283 seconds. I can send the file (without textures)? What acceleration did you put in the raytracer? I hope I can help out!

I've tried it with various scenes. And almost all became faster. Also some big architectural scene from Jeff. Mainly the radiosity renderings should be faster. But there is never a guaranty that every scene actaully profits from a certain acceleration technique.

By,
Martin

peer said:
When I used the UV Editor window the program crashed after switching between 3d view and the uv editor a couple of times.
Sorry. Please mail me the crash log and the last steps you did before the crash happened.

Many thanks in advance.

By,
Martin

Martin said:
Hi,
here is the first public beta of 3.1. The biggest enhancement is probably the "Smart Folder" object which can be used to link an external 3D file to an Cheetah3D scene. So everybody is welcome to test that feature.
But there are also some other small goodies like auto-highlightig for the select tool or an accelerated raytracer.

A list of the other new features and bug fixes can be found here.

Code:
-Added "Smart Folder" object
-Added Auto-highlighting to select tool
-Added "UV Editing" menu command to layout menu
-Added "export UV" and "export Normals" property to FBX export
-Added "Simple ASCII Export" example script
-Added some new Javascript functions necessary to write exporters which also export materials
   -Polycore::materialTagIndex(Number pindex)
   -Object::materialTag()
   -Tag::linkedToMaterial()
-Added "use existing materials" property to all file loaders which load materials
-Accelerated raytracer
-Fixed tranforum tool quantize bug
-File .jas loading bug (material preview)
-Fix bug in movie preview in render manager
-Fixed bug in Unwrap tools
-Fixed camera zoom bug
-Updated some old scripts
-Removed "Illustrator import scripts". Please use the PDF importer instead.
-many other small bug fixes

Download link:
http://cheetah3d.com/download/Cheetah3D3.1b1.dmg

But please be aware that this is beta software.

Please post all your experiences with this beta version in this forum thread.

Many thanks for your help.

By,
Martin

Take a vacation Martin.

Alright, thee new features are so cool. They do offer improvements, and the effort is appreciated. Now I think the next frontier is going to be joints based character animation. Iand if this information can be exported into other applications as well, that is all the better. I'm not sure what formats support bones, or skeletal type information. I would really be able to use that in Unity.

Back