How render LEDs on device

How render LEDs on device

Hello,
The Device has Clear Light Pipes that cover LEDs.
Problem: The the light from the LEDs that I have now spills out of desired area and creates too much reflection on the enclosure. I have to PhotoShop the spillover out of the image. Is there a good method for making LEDs?
Thanks,
QCI1

Attachments

• LEDs Side.png
    LEDs Side.png
    250.3 KB · Views: 406
  • LEDs Top.png
    LEDs Top.png
    317.5 KB · Views: 398
  • Light Properties for LED.png
    Light Properties for LED.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 399
  • LightPipe Material Covers LED.png
    LightPipe Material Covers LED.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 400
Hi QC11,

It's a little hard to give specific advice, since I'm not sure exactly how you've modeled this. If the lights are a separate object from the body, you could try using a render tag to exclude just those reflections.

I ended up using the Solid Material with high intensity for the LED inside of a light pipe that has Blurred Glass as the material. No reflections are on the enclosure now, so no need to PhotoShop it. I don't think they look very LED-like, though.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• View1.png
    View1.png
    332.2 KB · Views: 334
  • View2.png
    View2.png
    306.8 KB · Views: 343
  • LED.png
    LED.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 331
  • Blurred Glass.png
    Blurred Glass.png
    79.4 KB · Views: 343
Yeah, there are no volumetrics in C3d yet, which is what we would need to create a proper glow type of material look. There are a few different ways to work around it, at varying degrees of difficulty. You can search around the forum for some of them and give it a shot. It may be easier for now to do a few separate render passes and do the glow in post in an image editor (like Photoshop, GIMP etc.).

I now made each LED with a Spot light inside a Capsule. The Spot light points down. 4 LEDs are in a light pipe. There are 3 pipe lights. I think the rendering shows a better bounce of light within the light pipes and the reflection on the enclosure is gone.

Attachments

• Final.png
    Final.png
    239.2 KB · Views: 293
  • Capsule Material.png
    Capsule Material.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 295
  • Light Pipe Material.png
    Light Pipe Material.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 305
  • LED Light.png
    LED Light.png
    100.6 KB · Views: 294
  • LED Build.png
    LED Build.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 297
I now made each LED with a Spot light inside a Capsule. The Spot light points down. 4 LEDs are in a light pipe. There are 3 pipe lights. I think the rendering shows a better bounce of light within the light pipes and the reflection on the enclosure is gone.

Looks great! Nice work around.

Back