Cheetah3D 7.0 - Early Adopters Beta Test

Probably because of the funky URL, but it seemed harmless (did not request info).

I hope it's nothing, but malware and adware won't ask for
anything. But if you're seeing some unfamiliar popups
while on the web, it could be from something like that.

Hi All,
I was wondering if cheetah v7 will have a grid or endpoint snap function?

Thanks!

Well, version 6 has had those functions for a long time.

Snap To Raster- snaps to the invisible 3D grid
Snap To Component- snaps to points.

See Transform tool.
There is a short tute by the Good Doctor around on snapping which you may find to be of help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 13.28.47.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 13.28.47.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 491
I am just playing around a bit with the beta of v7 and really like it!

There are just a few things I miss at the first glance.

1. Select Visible - This is great but it looks like only the selected and opposite elements are selected, not the elements between the selection?

2. Visible shape showing Selection - Minor thing but it feels odd to just see the mouse curser and than suddenly the faces are selected. It would be nice to see a selection rectangle (or similar).

3. Ruler Tool - Very important feature but I need to look up since I can't get it to work?

Overall I am happy and will purchase the software. btw. is a release date for v7 announced yet?

* A quick post scriptum to raster snapping:
* You can customise the grid as a tool parameter.

* Simple example:
* You have a 1 inch grid and want to snap to a 1/8” sub grid.
* Replace the default 0.1 with 0.125 and your snapping switches from 1/10th to 1/8th.
* I can´t remember if the Good Doctor mentions that in the tute.

I am just playing around a bit with the beta of v7 and really like it!

There are just a few things I miss at the first glance.

1. Select Visible - This is great but it looks like only the selected and opposite elements are selected, not the elements between the selection?

Hey Tarek, glad you're enjoying it.

Cheetah does select as many polygons, in the same
mesh, that are under the cursor when you click/drag.
I find it needs a bit of a drag as one click often only selects the top poly.

Hey Tarek, glad you're enjoying it.

Cheetah does select as many polygons, in the same
mesh, that are under the cursor when you click/drag.
I find it needs a bit of a drag as one click often only selects the top poly.

Thank you. I certainly get used to it. I am looking for an indication whenv7 is expected to be released. The last update on the cheetah website is from 16th May?

Do you know anything about the release date?

Thank you. I certainly get used to it. I am looking for an indication whenv7 is expected to be released. The last update on the cheetah website is from 16th May?

Do you know anything about the release date?

As far as I know no date has been given.

As far as I'm concerned, it's so much better than v6 already,
there is no reason not to upgrade or buy in now.

Anyone working in v6 now is working with all
the bugs that have been eliminated for v7. :(

v6 vs v7 rendering problem

So I've rendered the exact same scene in v6 as v7 and they are coming out totally different. I haven't changed anything between the scenes. Anybody have any idea what is causing this? I know v7 isn't suppose to be fully production ready, but I'm wondering if this is some setting I need to change. The big issue is that we already have a series of still images and animation that all need to match the way they look.

Only using HDRI for lighting and had a Radiosity tag on the v6 (which I'm guessing the settings transfer to the renderer in v7?) I'll have to stick with v6 if I can't get this to match in v7. (CRE in the file name is an abbreviation for Cheetah Rendering Engine so not to confuse it with Falcon.)

Thanks!

Attachments

• C3dv6 CRE.jpg
    C3dv6 CRE.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 830
  • C3dv7 CRE.jpg
    C3dv7 CRE.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 854
  • Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 1.33.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 1.33.46 PM.png
    207 KB · Views: 843
So I've rendered the exact same scene in v6 as v7 and they are coming out totally different. I haven't changed anything between the scenes. Anybody have any idea what is causing this? I know v7 isn't suppose to be fully production ready, but I'm wondering if this is some setting I need to change. The big issue is that we already have a series of still images and animation that all need to match the way they look.

Only using HDRI for lighting and had a Radiosity tag on the v6 (which I'm guessing the settings transfer to the renderer in v7?) I'll have to stick with v6 if I can't get this to match in v7. (CRE in the file name is an abbreviation for Cheetah Rendering Engine so not to confuse it with Falcon.)

Thanks!

If your materials use reflection blur, try reducing the amount.
The same settings from v6 produce a greater effect in v7.
If you used the Fresnel setting, that also produces a greater effect in v7.
Better to use reflection instead. Finally try changing the Gamma setting in the renderer to 2.2.

If your materials use reflection blur, try reducing the amount.
The same settings from v6 produce a greater effect in v7.
If you used the Fresnel setting, that also produces a greater effect in v7.
Better to use reflection instead. Finally try changing the Gamma setting in the renderer to 2.2.

Thanks Zoo, I don't have Fresnel, Trans blur nor Reflective blur on for that material. I just have some transparency set by using a very very light grey. I tried the gamma setting at 2.2, but it just give a lighter grey shadow than the last render, but all the objects underneath are still mush.

I've stripped the superfluous objects from the jas file to reduce size. The HDRI is one from the forum somewhere. You can probably search for it and find it. Or even try some other non color tinted studio lighting setup.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 4.03.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 4.03.15 PM.png
    93.7 KB · Views: 811
  • v7 Render Problem.jpg
    v7 Render Problem.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 822
  • v7 Render Problem.zip
    30.6 KB · Views: 247
So it seems that the new version of the old renderer is more sensitive to radiosity as well. Putting a render tag and turning off visible in radiosity helped a lot. It made the part more clear though, which I then offset by bumping up the transparency blur and reflection blue. The top part now looks better in my opinion than the original, but the metal on the bottom still isn't close. The original render had much brighter, more noticeable grooves in the material. I can try a few other things to try and bring that back out. Maybe adjusting the gamma again, or increasing the hdri intensity will help? Possibly a bump added to the metal. With the Fresnal option ticked I think was more realistic, but the grey background made the part mostly disappear. It will take some re-learning I suppose to get back to understanding the standard C3d renderer again.

Thanks again for the help.

Attachments

• v7 Render.jpg
    v7 Render.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 833

The problem is we got used to v6 bugs and all.
Now there gone, which is fine for a new project but
a bit frustrating for old files, so keep v6 handy.

Judging from the faint reflection on the ceiling above, it does seem to be an effect of the lighting or renderer, but it looks similar to the flickering that occurs when navigating in the Editor and the model has twin/redundant polygons. Could that possibly show up in the render?

Back