Set key on multiple selected objects

Set key on multiple selected objects

Hello guys,

Newbie Cheetah user here. I've been using this amazing 3d app for Unity game animations for quite some time now.

I was wondering how you would go about setting keyframes for multiple selected objects without going through them one by one.

I utilize the Pose tool but I notice I have to go down and keyframe stuff anyway (even with autokey turned on).

Any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

This won´t work and I think this is intentional because in a worst case scenario you can keyframe multiple objects by accident and to correct this you have to find and delete them one-by-one later.
You can of course group as many objects as you like and keyframe this group - if this helps.
Can you be a bit more specific why&when you think you can benefit from this kind of feature?

Cheers
Frank

You may have to deselect "Only key changed parameters" in the Time Line first.

Select your main object with the Key Editor visible;
Right click & select copy on the Time Line Key Frame Animation you wish to apply to the multiple objects; then select the multiple objects;
Right click & paste the keys in the desired position on the Time Line (you'll see the pasted keys in the Key Editor for the multiple objects).

Click Play to view your animation (may require a little F-Curve tweaking or key frame repositioning for desired results).

Hope this is helpful.

Really? As far as I know just the last selected item will receive the pasted keyframes - no?

Cheers
Frank

Oops, I stand corrected per Frank. Only the dominate object in multiple selections receives the pasted keys (represented by a darker highlight in object browser).

Could be a time saver to be able to do this, but I also can see why its programmed this way.

You can of course group as many objects as you like and keyframe this group - if this helps.

Cheers
Frank

Could you give me hints how to do this? I tried:
- On a heirarchy, I keyframed the parent, but the children didn't get recorded
- Brought my objects under a folder, keyframed the folder, the children didn't also get recorded

You could script it.

Yeah, this could be my last resort. Though I have yet to find some decent scripting tutorials for C3D. Very scarce.

Ideally I know what I want it to do:
Select the parent then just recursively set keyframes of the children from the current Pose.

Is there a script that currently exist that does this? I didn't find one on the current master list as far as I can tell.

I'm pretty sure a lot of game animators could benefit from this (would be huge time saver keying poses).

Thanks for the quick reply guys :smile:

Any chances of you positing a simplified .jas sample? Parental node plus two subordinate objects or whatever should do.

Though I have yet to find some decent scripting tutorials for C3D. Very scarce.

I'd be curious as to what specifically you'd like covered. I've made the relevant section from my book available for free. If there's other stuff that needs explaining, let me know (I'm sure there is — I guess that the best option would be to walk people through at least one script of each type; probably more than one would be needed for macros and tools).

I'd be curious as to what specifically you'd like covered. I've made the relevant section from my book available for free. If there's other stuff that needs explaining, let me know (I'm sure there is — I guess that the best option would be to walk people through at least one script of each type; probably more than one would be needed for macros and tools).

I would love to explore C3D's scripting feature and hopefully contribute to the community in the near future. Not sure how deep the level of JS is needed but I've used it on websites and Unity (although admittedly I've been more into C# these days).

Do you have a link to that section you mentioned? I tried downloading a sample via iBooks but only saw the Mug section.

Do you also have a list what was covered on the 'Scripting' chapter of your book?

Thanks!

Also verify "Record all child objects of this object" button is pressed via the Time Line.;)

YES! This one takes the cake!!! :icon_thumbup:

Embarassingly it's been right there in front of me all along. :p

Thank you very much, good sir!

Although I'm still interested in extending the scripting capabilities of this beautiful software Mr. PodPerson, sir.

Have a great day!

Back