New version

@ bobziila
I don't blame you for holding off. I know how it is to live on a tight budget.
Once V7 is released you will be able to make a knowledgeable choice.
I sure hope it has what you need. It would be great to have you in the C3D family.

My Best
Jeanny

I wish I knew a little more about what v7 will bring before I bought it. I know $99 isn't earth shattering, but I'm on a very low budget right now!

If there were going to be any improvements in character animation and rigging, I'd probably snap it up. Right now, it's a little too limited for what I want to do.

Even adding more constraints would be a huge improvement.

Bob

Im sure you'll be able to test the demo out before buying. Just so you'll know if it adds anything that makes it worth it to you. :smile:

Thanks, gang! I'm looking forward to it.

This is an example of something I'd like to rig and animate. Still needs texturing and possible displacement painting.

Bob

Attachments

• stego-lg.jpg
    stego-lg.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 511
Thanks, gang! I'm looking forward to it.

This is an example of something I'd like to rig and animate. Still needs texturing and possible displacement painting.

Bob

Nice one Bobziila!

I hear ya on your purchasing query. It would be nice to see something from Martin... teaser images, anything...

Nice one Bobziila!

I hear ya on your purchasing query. It would be nice to see something from Martin... teaser images, anything...

Easy retrograde, be strong. Ask someone for a hug
if it hurts bad. You can... we can get through this. ;)

If we put to much pressure on martin, and he cracks, then what will we do.
I'm not going back to blender man, no way... I just can't handle it. :rolleyes:

Thanks, guys. I also have an allosaurus and camarasaurus both done and rigged in C4D using a fabulous plugin.

I keep forgetting C3D is really just one guy! I shall hold off on the pressure!

Bob

I wonder how long until feathered dinosaurs invade popular consciousness. The more we learn, the clearer it becomes that our giant lizard imagery is totally wrong (I liken most visualizations of dinosaurs as being about as similar to the real thing as a shaved cat is to a cat or a plucked chicken is to a chicken).

Well, it seems dromaeosaurs (velociraptor, etc.) and tyrannosaurs definitely had feathers of some sort. Some covered, some sparsely. I don't think all the theropods did. I don't think allosaurs and their kin did, for instance.

Besides, I can't afford a 3D app with hair and feather capabilities!!

Bob

Blender has it all. So if you want to play with hair & feathers , just download the free Blender app. It isn't so hard if you learn from Blender Guru website.

You can use Cheetah and Blender together, it depends what you want to make.

I think native hair effect will be a bit too much for cheetah 3D to handle unless the render will use the GPU instead of the CPU.

Blender has it all. So if you want to play with hair & feathers...
Well I was just joking about hair & feathers - haven't used that kind of functionality in Blender yet.

It is my understanding though that Martin is in fact working on a GPU renderer for V7. Like everyone else, I'm starved for information and get excited anytime additional details on what's coming are provided. But the new renderer is one area I am especially eager to learn more about. Will it work with NVIDIA cards, for instance? And if so only through OpenCL (I am pretty sure there would be no CUDA support)?

Surprisingly, Octane Renderer v3, coming sometime this summer, will for the first time be able to utilize AMD cards through OpenCL support. So that’s going to open up a new GPU based renderer to all those Mac Pro trash cans now. It would be great if an Octane Plug-in for Cheetah could, at that point, be something Martin might consider - especially if the new renderer being developed for V7 is not GPU based.

QUESTION: Will the new renderer completely replace the current C3D Ray-tracer, or will there be a legacy option to use the old one as well?

Blender has it all. So if you want to play with hair & feathers , just download the free Blender app. It isn't so hard if you learn from Blender Guru website.

I haven't even gotten through one tutorial video for Blender. Everything looks so complicated. I was watching one on rigging and you had to switch back and forth from the object tool to the pose tool to the bone tool. Blender always seems to have a caveat of, "Make sure you..." before any instructions.

I really wanted to like it, but even the world axis is different than all other 3D apps I've seen. Everything just seems overly complicated.

I threw together two legs, feet and hips with a VERY basic IK rig with controls in less than a minute in C3D. A Blender video on one leg was like 40 minutes!

With the plugin I used to use in C4D you can set up an entire basic rig for the whole character in a few minutes.

Maybe I'm just being cranky..

Bob

I'm admittedly no 3D modeler by profession, but I do need to make some 3D animations and illustrations for work projects. I'll chime in as someone who's also fairly comfortable with Blender, but there are some things that just feels awkward about using it. Maybe it's the way I model, but I can never seem to squeeze the performance out of it that I need to. I see people model these crazy advanced scenes with advanced lighting, reflections, and shadows, but my relatively simple models seem to take forever to render and don't look as good. I get the sense from reading Blender forums that the developers are somewhat antagonistic about the Mac platform, and that there's not as much interest for optimizing it for the Mac. I can only feel this is going to become a bigger problem as developers start moving away from OpenGL toward stuff like Vulkan, Metal, and the new DirectX. I seriously doubt we'll see Blender move to support Metal.

I admittedly haven't used C3D enough to truly get the hang of it, but the biggest thing I see missing from building these models is physics simulations, specifically smoke. It'd be great if C3D 7 could also have more robust smoke/hair/fluid simulation in addition to rigid and soft body. There's just such a huge gap between Blender, free, and a commercial package that can do everything that Blender does. If I could pay a few hundred bucks for a package that has as much power as Blender but in a cleaner, OS-optimized way, I'd do it in a second. But stuff like Modo and Maya are way more than that. And, out of Silo, Strata, and C3D, I think C3D is probably the most robust.

I just need to try remaking one of the animations I've made in Blender in C3D and see how well it works.

I'm still wishing the upcoming app could be distributed through the Mac App Store though. I know the MAS is largely abandonware by Apple these days, but it sure is nice to have all of my apps and updates come from a single source.

A little sneak peak would be nice

It would be nice to get a small preview of version 7... Anything at all to sustain us till release :D

Back