Unity Game Tutorial

Unity Game Tutorial

Hi,
total n00b here, looking for a Unity tutorial for importing my Cheetah objects.
I can easily import the mesh, but I've having problems importing the material.

Thanks!

Hi,
what type of material do you mean? Please be aware that procedural materials like wood, marble etc. can't be exported directly. You first have to bake them to a texture.

Bye,
Martin

Hi Martin!
Ok, yeah I've done that after making the polygon editable. Then I baked the texture and saw it display. I saved it out as a TIFF file.
Then I imported the mesh into Unity and also imported the TIFF but it looks odd.
I've attached a picture as rendered in Cheetah3D, then a pic of the asset in Unity and finally a pic of the marble in the Scene view.

Do I have to map coordinates for the asset?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,135
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,194
  • Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,184
Hi,
you baked the texture with the second UV set but you probably assigned the baked texture to the first UV set in Unity.

If you bake colors you usally bake them with the first UV set. The light information you normally use the second UV set.

So select UV1 in the baking tag and create baking UV coords. Then it will work also in Unity.

Bye,
Martin

Yes that worked Martin! So now it looks like a half moon, with one side permanately dark.
So now I have to render something called a "lightmap" ? Is there a link or a tutorial for that?

thanks

Last edited:
Hi,
that's because you also baked the light information into the texture. If you only turn on the color channel in the baking tag only the color will be baked.

The lighting (shading) can then be computed by OpenGL in Unity. Or you can bake a lightmap for the second UV set.

Bye,
Martin

Attachments

• Bild 3.png
    Bild 3.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,085
Out of interest - what are the capabilities of Unity's real-time shadowing? I've seen the demo with the table-lamps, but is all the lighting being done in real time? Or is there a baked lightmap for say, an Ambient Occlusion component, which is combined with simple OGL shadows?

Hi Martin,

Grrr...I feel I'm getting closer but now this renders. It's all just black! Do i need to add a light? Even if I do that, I get the same results.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,137
Hi.
Color contingent is defined by the "diffuse" part. So check this and bake the cake:smile:
And yes: light is needed.
With kindest regards
Frank

Last edited:
Hi,
sorry that was my fault. Here is an example how you can only bake the color.

Bye,
Martin

Attachments

• marblebake.jas.zip
    16.2 KB · Views: 319
Back