Smart Folders?

Smart Folders?

Hi,

I read the help file which explains what a SF is but how do I set them up?
I have a client who is going to provide a .3ds file exported from Autocad and he will be updating the model as I am setting up scenes with materials. Is this possible to stay working and keep updating the .3ds? Any pit falls to worry about?

Thanks.

read the help file which explains what a SF is but how do I set them up?
I have a client who is going to provide a .3ds file exported from Autocad and he will be updating the model as I am setting up scenes with materials. Is this possible to stay working and keep updating the .3ds? Any pit falls to worry about?
Yes, I'm doing this with SU files exported to FBX. The trick is to assign at least a material name from the source application. Then you find a fake material in material browser and can do all setting on it in C3d. Do not assign material to parts into a smartfolder or assignments will be lost on next reload.
I'm willing to make a script to find/replace material but I suspect the C3d API is too sparse to achieve this. Still to be investigated.

The smart folder should be created in C3D. Then in its property window you can set which .3ds file it should be pointing to. (Be careful, if you double-click on a smart folder it turns into a normal folder!)

When Martin first introduced them, I tried using smart folders with dxf files from vectorworks, but I found that updating the dxf with C3D running caused it to crash, so now I've stopped using them, except as a way of organising my dxf imports (ie set it up, then double-click it; saved a lot of work in the days before multiple selections were possible...). I don't know if the crashing thing will happen with .3ds files, so maybe do some testing first.

The smart folder should be created in C3D. Then in its property window you can set which .3ds file it should be pointing to. (Be careful, if you double-click on a smart folder it turns into a normal folder!)

When Martin first introduced them, I tried using smart folders with dxf files from vectorworks, but I found that updating the dxf with C3D running caused it to crash, so now I've stopped using them, except as a way of organising my dxf imports (ie set it up, then double-click it; saved a lot of work in the days before multiple selections were possible...). I don't know if the crashing thing will happen with .3ds files, so maybe do some testing first.

Let me see if I have this correct. I make a smart folder in C3D and I have it pointing to my .3ds folder on my desktop. Every time my client updates the .3ds I just dump it into my folder on my desk top and C3D is updated?

Sorry, I'm a little slow to the party. :redface:

PS,

How do I make a smart folder in C3D? I'm sorry...

Last edited:
Back