UV Mapping confusion

UV Mapping confusion

Hi

I read about different types of mapping methods: Planar, Cylindrical, Spherical and Automatic mapping (this was in relation to Maya). My question is this: Does Cheetah do different types of mapping? How?

I am well confused! :confused:

Any help would be appreciated.

Ta

JT

My question is this: Does Cheetah do different types of mapping? How?

Hi.
It´s all in the package.
Create a cube make it editable, generate some pic based material and choose the "UV editor" layout. Find the UV mapper and play with its properties. If you finished with adjustments don´t forget to "write UV coords" to burn in your mapping.

Regards
Frank

Attachments

• UV Mapper.jpeg
    UV Mapper.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 363
Hi again.

Sorry to sound stoopid...

I have created two simple cylinders to test this. I go into the UV Mapper and select Cylinder. I use a checker board texture to test the mapping and all is fine.

I add a second cylinder, select it and I cannot change the type of mapping. Is this correct? If for instance I created another object (a plane for instance) this seems that I am unable to then have a flat mapping.

I'm sure there is something obvious I am missing.

Another question: If I create a seam and unwrap the UV, is this basically setting a flat UV map?

Thanks for your help.

Ta

JT

Hi.
Sounds like a logistical inconvenience. If you want to change the default mapping of a parametric object you have to make it editable.

Otherwise save and post the zipped jas-file.

With kindest regards
Frank

Yeah

The two objects were editable but they both seemed to have the same mapping! I'm sure it is something I have done wrong. I will play about with it.

I am struggling at present just to get the UV coords correct. I am using a checkered pattern just to try and align things up.

Ta

JT

UV mapping took me forever to grasp, so don't feel like it's just your fault. It takes a while to get used to. I cannot say that I understand everything yet, tho. For instance, I yet have to master the intricacies concerning pinned UV coords... However, yeah, attach any file you wish and someone should be always willing to take a look at it and point you in the right direction.

Hi.
The orange cage stands for the mapping type in general. When you put in a material and use different mapping types and write the UV coords the mapping will stay burned. The cage won´t change, because it just shows the last used tool mapping type.
You should notice the changing in the UV editor window.

Regards
Frank

That makes sense but it really confused me! And the next bit is if I do all this UV mapping then unwrap it am I undoing the burn?

Thanks again.

John T

If you overwrite the UVs created by the burn modifier then your burnt texture will be a lot less useful (i.e. not useful except as abstract art).

Hi

Just a quick update, nothing really to add other than to say thank you to those who helped me with this.

I am with trial and error starting to get a grasp (not a firm one!) on this, it isn't as hard as first expected!

Thanks again, and keep helping us noobs!!!

Ta

JT

Back